It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I just got a new cell phone.
The contacts were uploaded from my old phone.
The new phone apparently guessed (correctly) that I had my contacts listed in Lastname Firstname order. (I say "apparently" because I'm not sure if this is what happened, but it seems to be the case.)
However, it forces all contacts to be in Firstname Lastname format. I do have the option of displaying Lastname first, which then causes them to be displayed generally correctly. However, it still misparses some things. For example, I used to have a number with the name "Toshiba Tech Support". This got ported over as the name "Tech Support Toshiba". When I ask it to display Lastname first, it instead says "Toshiba, Tech Support".
When I try to change the name, it only says "Tech Support Toshiba" -- it implicitly believes that that has separate Lastname and Firstname fields, but doesn't show them as separately editable. If I change the name to "Toshiba Tech Support", it thinks that Support is the Lastname, and then display-by-Lastname becomes "Support, Toshiba Tech".
For my phone, this is actually relatively mild of a problem. This is because I've already pre-labeled all my contacts Lastname first, and there are only a few oddballs. For my mom's phone, however...you get strange phenomena like "& Jill Jack" for a contact previously known as "Jack & Jill".
Computers, please stop trying to guess what my needs are. I understand the technology. Just do whatever it is I ask you to do, and stop trying to be too smart by half. Please. It just makes things worse.
Programmers, please stop making programs that do this. Or at least make it possible to turn it off. Because it's really freakin' annoying.