If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Insulting fans/exaggerating fan behaviour due to Hype Backlash

edited 2011-04-01 18:28:07 in Media
Because you never know what you might see.
This is not an IJBM about Hype Backlash per se.  This is about an aspect of Hype Backlash that I see regularly, find annoying, but rarely see complained about, namely the whole "Well I wouldn't mind it if the fans would shut up about it for a few seconds and stop rubbing it in my face" thing.

I mean, nobody accuses people who regularly reference Thomas Pynchon or Robert Anton Wilson or Kamen Rider of doing anything so extreme or in such hyperbolic, slightly insulting terms, because it's only one or two people doing it.  But if somebody references Touhou or MS Paint Adventures regularly - neither of which is exactly a mainstream interest or one which anybody would be likely to follow unless they had genuinely found it to be to their tastes - apparently they're "rubbing it in your face" and "won't shut up about it"?

The double standard there JBM.

Comments

• Sometimes I wonder what places these people visit. The only "rubbing it in your face" I get from the Homestuck and (to a lesser extent admittedly) My Little Pony fandoms are avatars, and if you have problems with people wanting others to associate their posts with what they like, well, no. Other than that, it's mostly confined to a few threads you don't have to click, or a short, fleeting conversation you don't have to join.
  • edited 2011-04-01 18:50:06
    The only person I know who regularly references Kamen Rider is Kinkajou.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I had him in mind when I wrote that.  Everybody knows him as a fanboy, but nobody accuses him of talking about nothing else or rubbing it in their faces.

(With the other two examples I was thinking of Imi and QQQQQ, incidentally.)
  • I guess the noise sounds louder when there are 100 people talking about something rather than 1 person.

Personally, the only fad that really annoyed me was Touhou, and that stemmed from (silly) Freudian Not-An-Excuse more than anything.

• Admittedly, I tend to be on the fan end of these things, but in the case of Touhou, Dr. Who, and Evangelion I think I'm closer to having an outsiders perspective, and I think the only thing that's legitimately bothersome is the spoilers.

But it's still fun to have some second-hand knowledge of these things so you can add to your meme repertoire.
  • In the case of Tōhō Project, there aren't any spoilers, though.
  • The endings are spoilers, though. Since ZUN doesn't want them spoilered nobody cares about canon, chances are you won't get spoiled if you don't actively try to.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Apparently seeing people like things that you don't enjoy, and talking about it is considered rubbing it in your face.

It would be similar to me trying to convince all of you to read Elfen Lied, every day.
  • Nah, if you did that you'd just be a fangirl and it'd be made fun of like Kinkajou and Kamen Rider.  It's not one person aggressively pushing something that makes people complain about aggressive pushing.  It's a bunch of people passively pushing something that makes people complain about aggressive pushing.
  • I guess it's like if you eat every meal with people who are eating fish. Eventually you get really sick of the smell.
  • lol Jehova's Witnesses
    lol Japanese People
  • lol Jordan Citizens
    lol poor people living in India that have to eat dead fish out of the shit filled channels of the Ganges

• Khwarizmi: It's Vorpy.  I've since given up on understanding her.
    I am starting to get annoyed by people using my name so much as an explanation for everything I say. Am I suddenly not allowed to shitpost?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-01 21:48:08
    Au contraire, Vorpion. We wouldn't expect anything else.
  • Yes, in the Wonderful Posts section.
    It just seemed kind of random, is all.

(That, and after multiple posts preceded by "lol", each more bizarre than the last, that image seemed almost obligatory.)
    Na, I was just wondering whether or not I missed out on a joke being played elsewhere that I was unaware of.
    Also, I think people should leave the Homestuck fandom alone. They aren't geared towards hijacking as much as other fandoms are...
    I forgot about my hijack video I made.
  • It's behavior like this that makes TV Tropes look so oversensitive.
  • edited 2011-04-02 13:58:34
    Pony Sleuth
    "They aren't geared towards hijacking as much as other fandoms are..."

I don't think any of these fandoms are really geared towards hijacks. Homestuck maybe, but that's generally only when people roleplay as a joke.
  • edited 2011-04-02 14:35:19
    (void)
    Hijacking is rarely deliberate.  It's that one person makes an offhand comment and a bunch of people jump into it.  (That said, IIRC, the original TOUHOU HIJACK derives from the actions of an actual troll.)

One person violently pushing something doesn't register in our brain as violently pushing something, because most people won't get that obnoxious.

But a bunch of people doing something that in isolation wouldn't be annoying does register in our brain as violently pushing something, because telling one person you're not interested doesn't(and can't) tell everyone else pushing something passively that you're not interested.  So it feels more violent.