If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

These two characters are the same character

edited 2014-04-25 12:25:47 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, actually, make that three characters.

Celica_by_omgdragonfly.png

1331319000_998695.jpg

768px-Celica_%28FE13_Artwork%29.png

yeah, yeah, I know, art styles and all.

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Who is the first one? I mean, doesn't look like it's from one of those Chinese cartoons of yours.

• edited 2014-04-27 12:28:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Fanart of the same character.  http://omgdragonfly.deviantart.com/art/Celica-91859364

FYI the second came from Zerochan and I'm not sure if it's official art but I don't think it is.  The third one is official art of the character for her cameo appearance in a recent Fire Emblem game.  (She's originally from FE2.)

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Ah, so it's Western-style fanart of an anime character. I remember reading complaints once that it's always the other way.

• Wait so they actually are the same character?

So... what's the point of the thread?

I thought the point was "these are three different characters with near-identical designs" but it's apparently "here are three pictures of an animu girl I like".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The point was that the character designs look so different yet they're supposed to represent the same character.

The major change, obviously, is the re-envisioning, but I ran across the first one while looking up the pictures to make this thread.

• edited 2014-04-27 14:45:30

They really don't look very different except to the extent that they're drawn in different art styles.

They have slightly different outfits but it's common for characters to change their designs slightly in between appearances, and certainly for fanart to look different from the official designs.

I guess the third design is a lot different from the first two (but still not so different that I won't believe they're the same character), but at least the first two are similar enough.

• edited 2014-04-27 16:11:07

Yeah, it's really not that remarkable, considering different people draw in different styles, and they're not expected to draw similarly to each other unless they're like, working on related projects. It's not like the example I posted where artists drawing the same character for the same publisher on the same medium, during (mostly) the same year, end up drawing so inconsistently with each other.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Actually, your picture brings up an interesting point to ponder -- that is, despite the various conflicting appearances of Bumblebee, they're still very easily recognizable as the same character.

In contrast, in the case of Cellica, the character at the bottom looks significantly younger.  Also she doesn't have the armor, and has a generally red color scheme, and even the hairstyle looks different.

That said, she's not the only Fire Emblem Awakening cameo character to sport a significantly different choice of clothing compared to the source material (Eirika shows up in a dress, for example).

• edited 2014-04-28 00:37:17

Bumblebee gets drawn with varying amounts of detail, sometimes looking more "alien" than usual. And the middle picture in the top row has his car parts switched around inexplicably (his chest is suddenly the car's roof instead of the hood). And all those appearances are in the same continuity as each other, so it looks like the his body gains and loses panel lines every other week or so.

But "different age", "different clothes" and "different hairstyle" is something you see with real people. Or do you expect people to never age and always dress in the same colors? Actually, how does Bumblebee not look like he's at different ages in that set? His face has more "wrinkles" in the issues where the artist drew with more mechanical detail ala the Paramount/ILM live-action versions. And the pictures don't convey a consistent level of "youthfulness". Yet they're in the same continuity, in (mostly) a close timespan with each other.

And again, there's no expectation for fanart to be done in a style that matches official art, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a marginally consistent aesthetic for different issues of the same comic published in the same year.

• They're robots who fight wars.

Battle damage forces them to keep cycling through parts.