If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Little Mermaid

edited 2014-04-01 23:52:31 in Media

Many people have already pointed out how screwed up it is that she tries to change everything about herself for a guy she's barely met. I have a feeling that Disney didn't think the implications through, as the original story ended in tragedy for this reason (aside from that going to heaven bit). Though the sexual undertones make it pretty screwed up on its own.

I'm intrigued as to how Sofia Coppola is going to interpret it.

Comments

• The subtext makes for hilarious riffing material, though:

• I laughed, because I have the maturity of a 13-year-old

• edited 2014-04-09 23:54:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I still haven't watched that video, because I have the attention span of a 13-year-old

• They're somethin' else.

I thought Coppola was going to adapt the Hans Christian Anderson story?

• Yes, that's what I meant. It reminds me of the 2003 Peter Pan, though I imagine it would be edgier.

• What about Beauty and the Beast? The moral of the story is essentially "even if someone traps you in a castle and holds you hostage, it's okay because they're actually not so bad when you get to know them?"

• edited 2014-04-10 16:15:38
    Diet NEET

Belle obviously falls in love with Beast due to Stockholm Syndrome, but the way the others react is by deciding her own experience for her. It's a textbook example of how victims of emotional abuse often are in the double bind of having their friends decide her story for her and taking her agency away in the very same way her abusive partner does.

• I heard the VA for Ariel was homophobic due to Christian beliefs.