If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: The incongruous art style of Haru from Accel World, and similar characters.

edited 2014-03-25 16:39:11 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

His character art annoys me.

NOT his character design.  I'm completely fine with there being a fat dork character in a series, and if anything, I enjoy seeing them portrayed as human and multidimensional rather than joke characters.

What annoys me, is the fact that the character is drawn in a totally different style from pretty much anyone else.  It's not like they took a base design and adjusted the proportions.  They took a style that's pretty much used for comedy/slapstick/parody -- those eyes with tiny dot pupils -- and used it for his character art.  It would be okay if they had the other characters with a similar eye style, or something.  But as it is, it pretty much is there to differentiate the character and make him look dorky and aesthetically unappealing.  Heck, he looks so noticeably out-of-place that it's almost like he's a different species or something.

Now, I haven't watched Accel World, so maybe there's some in-series justification.  But somehow, I doubt it.

Comments

• Maybe you should watch Accel World.

• edited 2014-03-25 05:40:32

Oh, is it actually a good show?

If so, I'll put it in my to-watch list.

Just that, after what I've heard of the similar-premise Sword Art Online, and seeing the art of this, I decided it was prudent to stay away.

• I don't know.

But you have said things from a place of not-knowing, so maybe you should find out and know.

• So, any reason you choose something you know very little about as your main example (and thread title) when there are loads of examples for characters that look out of place because they're drawn differently?

• edited 2014-03-25 07:54:06
    There is love everywhere, I already know

and similar characters.

Liiiiiiiiike?

Haru is MC, his shape never really comes up. It's just cute (read: not unappealing) because animu and matches his avatar.

Accel World is about how okay it is to be different (and I guess gaming the system). Why dislike that?

• edited 2014-03-25 16:48:16

^^ Because I had just run across an Accel World AMV and I wasn't aware of that trope page.

^ Hmm, maybe I will go and watch it...should I?  Is it actually worth it?  I'm just worried because superficially I see female character clearly designed to be attractive as well as male character clearly designed to be unattractive and I see them being paired together by the series, and I'm worried it'll be a wish-fulfillment fantasy like the multiple accounts I've heard of SAO.

> But you have said things from a place of not-knowing, so maybe you should find out and know.

I'm not sure that can reasonably apply to everything...such as SAO which I cited in comparison.

Anyway, rewrote the title and OP to be less "offensive" itself -- literally and figuratively.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I see female character clearly designed to be attractive as well as male character clearly designed to be unattractive and I see them being paired together by the series

You're avoiding the fact that I just called his character design cute and not unattractive despite my post being just above yours.

And it's odd that you've passed judgement on their relationship without watching all the development (Which takes up a lot of time and an OVA).

• ^ Hmm, maybe I will go and watch it...should I?  Is it actually worth it?  I'm just worried because superficially I see female character clearly designed to be attractive as well as male character clearly designed to be unattractive and I see them being paired together by the series, and I'm worried it'll be a wish-fulfillment fantasy like the multiple accounts I've heard of SAO.

If you're really worried you can like, look up a review or something.

And it's odd that you've passed judgement on their relationship without watching all the development

More like without watching any of it whatsoever.

• edited 2014-03-26 05:29:32

^^ I said "superficially" right before the bit you quoted.  I'm not claiming to be comprehensive or anything; I was just explaining why I avoided the show initially.  (And obviously, art style is a YMMV thing, which is why we have a difference of opinion on it.)

But that's why I asked if y'all knew how good the show was.  I mean, as 14w pointed out, actually going to watch the show does take up a lot of time, and I've also trusted his reasoning on avoiding a few other shows, without having seen them myself (I'm not counting seeing the first ep of SAO in a club).

Though now that this conversation has gone this far I've become kinda curious about it.  And it does have a nice ending theme by Altima...

Edit: Apparently, there are trope names for this phenomenon -- Gonk -- and its counterpart -- Generic Cuteness.  What they refer to is basically the gist of what I'm complaining about, I think.  (And I probably shouldn't have cited Accel World in particular.  Perhaps I should have gone with the art style differences between characters in Eyeshield 21, which I've actually seen three eps of...though that show appears to have a significant comedic element so it's less of a big deal there...)

• edited 2014-03-26 14:59:15

^^ I said "superficially" right before the bit you quoted.  I'm not claiming to be comprehensive or anything; I was just explaining why I avoided the show initially.

Then, why complain about it, or say any of this at all if you didn't even bother to do any research?

But that's why I asked if y'all knew how good the show was.  I mean, as 14w pointed out, actually going to watch the show does take up a lot of time, and I've also trusted his reasoning on avoiding a few other shows, without having seen them myself (I'm not counting seeing the first ep of SAO in a club).

I just... wha? If you wanted to know whether Accel World is good... why not just ask that instead of opening a thread with "I am complaining about something I know fuck all about"? There are better ways of finding out about something than writing out a pointless superficial judgement like this. Even if you admit it's just superficial, that doesn't make it any less frustratingly why-inducing.

• edited 2014-03-26 21:25:14

Well, the "why" is because it was something I felt like making a thread about, and the first example that came to mind was Haru because I'd just run into an Accel World AMV or something and it was fresh in my mind

This character is certainly not the only example, and I've noted that I should have instead fished up the trope pages for Gonk and Generic Cuteness and pointed to those two instead.

but at least i got a nice theme song in my head