If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sonic The Hedgehog

edited 2014-03-19 03:18:34 in General
They're somethin' else.

When I read up on Sega, especially on how groundbreaking a lot of their games were, be they in the arcade or for the consumer, it's really frustrating to see the amount of credit and attention Sonic's still given, to the point of overshadowing everything else Sega.

For one, he and his franchise owes their existence to being direct competition towards Mario (and hardly even the rest of Nintendo. I never did see a Legend of Zelda equivalent among Sega's ranks, unless you count Phantasy Star). Sonic, as far as I know, just does not have its own identity as a series, with every game after Adventure, and even before that, always needing some new, unnecessary gimmick to stay fresh. And if the series ever did break any ground and innovated, it hasn't innovated the way a good amount of Sega AM2 works had.

So yeah, I don't get why Sonic is that celebrated.

Comments

• Because he pretty much defined a lot of the video game culture of the 90s? Think about it: after Sonic started being popular every video game series wanted to be the next "animal mascot with attitude." Pair this with two successful cartoons and you have a series with a pop cultural presence far greater than anything else that Sega has put out since.

• How can you not understand the glory of the blue blur:

• I never did see a Legend of Zelda equivalent among Sega's ranks

Landstalker and Crusader of Centy (the latter of which I vastly prefer to it's console appropriate Zelda equivalent).

• Crusader of Centy had a really stupid story, though.

• I have my own crusader now?

• edited 2014-03-20 22:11:54
    They're somethin' else.

I guess, Zennistrad.

Still frustrating, though. Sega was way ahead of their time (Shenmue would be a godsend in the DLC age), so it's annoying to see so much focus put on Sonic even now. Sonic Team really needs to hire some capable hands or learn how to be straightforward with the franchise.

And Sega has to do a lot more than just grimdark their greater arcade franchises and put the gameplay second. Goddamn the new Golden Axe was complete suckage.

• My arms are falling off!

One could argue that Shenmue would be easily dismissed as "been done before" in this day and age, however. Though you're right, its episodic format would've worked better as part of a digital title rather than multiple discs.