If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Public restroom etiquette

edited 2014-03-19 01:04:52 in Meatspace
My arms are falling off!

I sometimes see people walk out of the bathroom after usage without washing their hands.

It's even worse when the person was "sitting" instead of "standing", in which case I feel sorry for the next person that makes physical contact with their hands.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And this is why I've resolved to handle public bathroom doors with paper towels and shoes.  And try to grab handles in unusual locations when possible.

• People who decide to have a conversation will standing next to you at the johns make me pissed.

• My arms are falling off!

It seems like social interactions in women's bathrooms are considered typical, but in men's bathrooms talking is a taboo.

• There's no prob when you do it at the sink, but when standing next to each other peeing it's just awkward. 

• My arms are falling off!

One thing I won't care about, however, is whether the seat is up or down. If it's in the proper position for my functions, good. If not, I just flip it up or down.

I mean yes, leaving the seat down is a better courtesy since both biological genders can use the seat down but only one can use it up, but it's a small issue that tends to get made into a big deal. If you end up with your butt in the water because the seat was up, that's on you for not looking.

• My general rule of thumb is that I leave the seat up in a men's restroom and leave it down in a unisex restroom.

Probably more complicated than it needs to be, but it makes sense to me.

• edited 2014-03-22 15:25:13
    Loser

InsanityAddict,

Admittedly, I do not know much about urinal conversations, but I feel like stall talking is a just as bad if not worse practice because it intrudes upon the expectation of privacy that comes with being in a restroom stall.

Also, I think it would be nice if people would avoid talking on the phone if at all possible while in the bathroom for the sake of the person with whom they are speaking and for everyone else present (in the case of a public restroom). Having to take a break to use the restroom is a perfectly acceptable reason to put someone on hold in my view and I doubt many people will begrudge you for doing it.