If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Disney's ownership of Doug

edited 2014-03-08 23:12:07 in Media

Jim Jinkins is the only Nicktoon creator to get the rights to his creation back (the actual intellectual property, not the show itself), even if it was because Nick canceled it (the show needed to have at least 65 episodes in order for Nickelodeon to own the IP for good, and Doug only had 52), and what happens? Disney buys Jumbo Pictures, which was probably the only way for Doug to continue (it had 65 more episodes under Disney), but now it's one of the many things that Disney sits on and seems to see no value in.

Comments

• That is kind of a sad story.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is Disney acting like an IP squatter more than other major media companies?

• edited 2014-03-09 00:52:52

I think Disney are also known for not doing complete home video releases for their shows, so probably, yeah.

• Remember anything from The Disney Afternoon or One Saturday Morning? Because they sure don't want you to! (though most of the Disney Afternoon shows have at least part of their runs on DVD, shows from the late '90s onwards are generally not so lucky)

They own the back catalog of Fox Family Worldwide (Fox Kids) too, and they sit on that stuff as well.

• (Though there are some FFWW shows that are exempt from this; Power Rangers and its ilk are again the property of Haim Saban, and any cartoon to do with a Marvel property is with them again via Disney's acquisition of the company and Marvel doesn't sit on shit like Disney-ABC Television Group does)

• Gargoyles (if you don't count Goliath Chronicles) also became an exception recently, since they finally released the second half of season two.

• I should have noted that...I already knew about that.

Also, Kim Possible (most of it, anyway) is a Disney Vault Escapee via iTunes...as is the whole run of The Weekenders.

• edited 2014-03-09 03:14:55

blah

• I'm personally glad that we FINALLY have official Digimon releases now that Saban has the rights to the series again.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Remember anything from The Disney Afternoon or One Saturday Morning? Because they sure don't want you to!

Fillmore ;-;

• edited 2014-03-21 02:46:23

Also, Kim Possible (most of it, anyway)

I wouldn't say it counts if it's only most of the show and not all of it.

Anyway, wanted to say that it's kinda depressing that if I randomly look up a Disney show, it's almost a certainty that I find out it doesn't have complete home video releases.