If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The different subgenres of heavy metal.

edited 2014-02-12 17:07:31 in Media

It's always bothered me how there are so many different subgenres of heavy metal music. They all just seem to be based in slight differences in instrumentation and composition that only those trained in musical theory can really recognize. It all just seems so arbitrary and stupid, and what makes it worse is how so many people are so snobby about these minute differences. Does it really matter if I don't immediately recognize the difference between post-punk-grunge-core and post-grind-power-thrash metal? Just let me enjoy my fucking music.

Comments

• a little muffled

post-punk-grunge-core
    how would that be metal

• Oh for fuck's sake, Nyktos.

• You are more complaining about sub-sub-genre, sub-sub-sub-genres and fusion genres.

The major sub-genres of heavy metal are fairly well defined. 

Note the only thing metal about post-punk-grunge-core is grunge since grunge has parts of doom metal in it and both grunge and the any genre that has the core suffix is punk so the example genre is highly redundant.

• any genre that has the core suffix is punk

or EDM

• You are more complaining about sub-sub-genre, sub-sub-sub-genres and fusion genres.

The major sub-genres of heavy metal are fairly well defined.

It's called hyperbole. None of the genres I mentioned were real, it was just an example of how ridiculous they all sound to me. I don't know the difference between Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, etc. except that maybe they'd sound like different songs. To me, it's just metal.

• A few things

or EDM

Forgot that it also use core as a suffix. 

I'm still trying to figure out how someone can confuse death metal and power metal. The style of vocals alone should make it easy to differentiate between the two.

I'll admit that there is overlap between various styles of metal especially those that share some sort of musical heritage but the styles try to stand out in some way.

Finally I knew it was hyperbole but egregious genre screw ups are a minor  pet peeve, sorry I forgot a smilie at the end. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I've had this pic, figure it might fit into the conversation:

http://www.thetarquin.com/FiftyTwoTuesdays/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/metalintro.gif