If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT Speed modeling requests

Comments

• I made a Patchouli! 

Work time: literally hundreds of hours, it's something I've been working on and off for years and had to redo a bunch of times.

Fun fact: those falling books are there by accident, something messed up that made the ones on the floor randomly fly off. After a while I realized I liked it.

Special thanks to TVT's Fawriel for the reference picture. Hair texture comes from hairrendering.wordpress.com. I had that eye texture stashed in my computer and I can't seem to find out where I got it from, so...

New de-rule: characters doing complicated poses are now okay.

Notes to self:

Don't keep eyelashes and similar small things separated from body mesh, it's not worth it.

An unappropriate cartoon shader can make it so that an ok topology looks wrong, remember to change it when modeling.

• Can you do some sort of crustacean?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Naas_Human wrote:

Can you do some sort of crustacean?

Giant enemy crab.

Complete with weak point.

• No rainbow star

I can't even figure out how to make a sphere in Blender, and I once broke Unity trying to model a tree...

• ^ It's easy, you just add a cube then crank up the subsurf forever.

If you have a specific issue, I may be able to aid you.

^^ Too late, have a shrimp instead:

Take 1 - 119 minutes, plus a few more for miscellaneous stuff (looking for references, using external programs, etc.)

Take 2 - ~10 minutes

Take 3 - ~20 minutes

Take 4 - ~50 minutes

The reference is this.

Again I tried to stick to a deadline (two hours), and I did for that first picture, but then I felt the temptation to add and fix what's pending and... I guess the end result of 3:20 ain't bad either, although of course that doesn't count checking every two minutes to see how the render's going, that kinda adds up.

Also, those bubbles kept messing with the program, causing it to crash when rendering, I spent hours and hours re-rendering over that and then some time to get an imperfect workaround for the problem (can you tell?).

Notes to self:

Subsurface scattering is not a substitute for translucency, at least not easily.

Remember to save edited external images often.

Stop naming color maps "color map", non-color maps will inherit their names, too.

• edited 2014-09-17 22:19:46

If you're still taking requests: any Arthurian character.

• Archetypical Black Knight is done!:

Work time: a bit over 10 hours. Usual disclaimers apply.

So as to press myself into speeding things up, I thought I'd post whatever I have done by the time I hit whatever deadline I set myself at first (in this case, two hours):

(Not pictured: chainmail links)

Environment map (i.e. the background and its lighting) comes from openfootage.net

• Can you make him green?

• I made the Angel Falls!:

Work time: approx. 20 hours.

Ahh, I had never sculpted or textured that much. Good times.

Environment map from hdrlabs.com (the Sierra Madre B one).

Note to self: Specifying the UV map will fix the image mapping for a particle system. Sometimes. Seriously, fuck particles.

• edited 2014-09-28 20:10:37

So I randomly tried to open Maya and would you look at that, it worked now, so I'm finally making the move. Sorry Blender, but your simulators suck, and hey, Maya has Opensubdiv (I nerd'd).

> can't tumble orthographic cameras

> things don't translate perpendicular to the viewport (by default, anyways)

> vertices from n-gons can't be deleted until their respectives edges are

> x, y and z don't lock axes

> mfw

Anyhow, I made this, based on this tutorial:

Work time: gotta get a timer next time.

Learning a new program has been going much more smoothly than last time (pun not originally intended), besides all the general 3d stuff I had already learned this time I now better than to not waste time on "courses" and just get right into making stuff. Expect more shitty renders from tutorials coming soon.

• edited 2014-10-03 08:51:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

My post seems to have been lost (I thought I commented), but I wanted to say the Angel Falls one looks quite nice.  The patches of vegetation in the middle of the picture look a little out of place but it's not too unbelievable.

Also, the Black Knight earlier -- with the incomplete picture -- is sorta begging for a Monty Python reference.

The house looks like a gingerbread house, or something out of Super Mario RPG.  Which is not a bad thing at all.

• Ooh, I remembered I was supposed to post here.

^ Yeh, I felt that grass looked odd, it's actually there in the real-life thing, but I should've made it stand out less (it stood out even more before I changed it, and didn't want to overdo it.)

It's easy, you just add a cube then crank up the subsurf forever.

I learned this doesn't actually result in a sphere.

Anyhows. Some more Maya learnings. I learned where those horror stories about its UI came from (what's a border edge and why does Maya have an existential bent on not letting me delete them?)

Treasure chest:

Work time - 4:20, before I lost my patience with the texture mapping and left it as is. Instead I tried to find out what I could do in Blender in an hour:

Not good, but can be inproved quickly with a bunch of easy fixes (fixing the wood's specularity, beveling, etc.)

Hastily-made Meteors

(It's an animation, but you'll need to use your imagination.) Turns out the default settings for a fire system results in better fire than I've ever gotten in Blender.

Brachiosaurus ready for texturing (see below):

Work time - didn't check. I didn't actually follow the tutorial all that much, dude goes slowly and I'm already used to the modeling part of stuff so I just started doing things my way. After a while I started rushing things, I even used triangles (you don't use triangles unless you don't love your mesh).

I also took the liberty to try out Mudbox (a program suited for scultping and texturing, essentially 3D Photoshop)

Just testing out stuff:

Phyrexian Obliterator:

It'd look better with the materials I'd set up for it, but unfortunately a bunch of stuff came up and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it now. Still not phyrexiany, though.

Bust:

Maaan, all those timelapsed videos make it look so easy. I guess this is where drawing experience comes in. Maybe it's time I learn to draw?

Dinosaur above:

Ahh, I think I'm getting the hang of it (projection painting does wonders). Unfortunately I don't know how to go about rendering it in Maya:

Notes to self:

• Remember that Mudbox will paint over multiple objects, keep in mind when they have would-be overlapping UVs.

• Mudbox's memory usage is huge, make sure I have enough of it to not get caught unable to save.

• edited 2014-11-26 12:05:23

I don't have a finished project this time around, just wanted to say that I'm getting into a project that I've been getting into a project that makes me unable to take requests, in case any of you wanted one, I suppose. I do have a work-in-progress, tho:

(She's mostly done, but there are still a bunch of stuff to fix. Damn you hair tubes.)

Ahh, I think I'm already used to Maya's mesh modeling, however I still prefer Blender's, so I think I'll keep it as part of my workflow, it gets tiresome clicking arrows on a pivot, and I like that vertices, edges and faces work the same way. And modifiers. And smooth. And...

And maaan, Goddamnit, Maya really is unforgiving. I ran into a shitload of issues because I tried to do things out of order (adding ears or texture mapping after rigging).

But boy, I had forgotten what it was like to have noiseless test renders in seconds.

And I've come to realize, I've changed how I mentally divide my workflow: it used to be "model head then model torso then [...] texture face then...", now it's "model then texture then rig then...", which I'll take as a good thing.

On non-Maya stuff, I began really getting into rigging. I didn't like it before because a good chunk of it involves tedious skinning work (aka weighting, long story), but exploring beyond that I've learned quite a bit about rigging and it's very interesting to make it so that stuff can do exactly what you want it to do, and involves lots of problem solving.

If all goes fine I might even get into animation, and then I'll become a full fledged generalist. A Generalist Modeller is a jack of all trades. After they get some experience they can choose to become either Organic Modeller or Inorganic Modeller, and after they level up a bit more Organic Modellers can class change into Character Modeller or Creature Modeller, and Inorganic Modellers into Object Modeller or Environment Modeller.

I think I'll eventually go for Character Modeller. Time will tell.

Also, Makehuman (link may not be SFW, haven't watched it) is way, waaay more useful than I was made to believe. (as the name implies program to create humans procedurally).

And I've started learning ZBrush (it's like Mudbox but complicated but also better).

Lots of notes to self:

Select shell will not select that shell's UV vertices. (Is there a "select all UV vertices within a shell" option?)

Soft select will mess with curve guides. And so will the Legacy Default Viewport. What the fuck?

What causes those rigs to get "stuck" is duplicating faces from the mesh. While at it, duplicating faces causes the vertices to lose their smooth skin components, which is what makes it impossible to use Copy Skin Weights, so skin after clothing or find another way to make clothes.

Absolutely make sure everything is ready before mirroring, UV unwrapping, skinning, etc. (in that order), and since HumanIK messes up very often, locking the rig should be the final step.

Just like how XGen primitives are interpolated, they're also extrapolated. Make sure that the resulting primitives there get the desired effect, putting more guides if necessary.

Next time try working with one .mud file per object, it might work out better.

For some reason this never came up until now, but when setting up the UV layout, remember that edges should follow along texture "seams" like in those shoes, lest it looks pixelated.

Apparently Maya doesn't use real-world units for dynamics, even if that's what's used in the interface.

Tentative workflow:

Modeling - Blender.

UV Mapping - Blender

Skinning - Blender?

Rigging - Maya?

Animating - Maya, duh

Texturing - Mudbox

Rendering - ?

• I think it's time I post this:

It's been a while since I got into this one. I'm not satisfied with the result, but I've had it in the backburner for quite a while, and some stuff broke while at it (for example, the cloth simulation). I tried my hand at animation, but boy, is it frustrating. I did learn a lot from this project, nonetheless, for example I finally learned how to make things hang from hair.

Maybe one day I'll look back and work more this model, but for now it's time to move on.

As for ZBrush, it really is the Dwarf Fortress of 3D, it's got downright outlandish UI features like having to ctrl+drag twice outside your mesh tool to do some stuff, or clicking 3x3 pixel 'X Y Z' buttons hiding inside another button. That said, it's got some really nice features that will prove very useful. I think I got it to the level I can begin using it and learn as I go, although I don't know what could I do with it.

Rant ended.

Note to self:

• For some reason when the render's crashed, right-clicking on the X will close it without touching the rest of Maya.
    • Maya won't tell you this, but rigid objects can't be set to be nCloth.
    • Turning a mesh into nCloth will break its nConstraints. Oh, and nConstraints -> Component to Component works for everything.
    • Smoothing a mesh might make its vertex groups to go awry, for example within fingers.
    • Remember to be on frame 1 if returning to rest pose and there are dynamics active.
    • Add constraints before duplicating driving objects.
    • Ultimately, Substance Designer is a 2D texturizer and all that implies, so keep seams in mind, etc.

• Can you do a griffin?
  • New rule (to myself): By the two hour mark the scene should be done, not counting rendering. I'll be working intermitently so going back to the would-be spirit of the thread is necessary to get things done.
    Final Render:

Failed Render:

That's the best I could do to make those strands look like feathers. Bad timing for the project, this year the Blender Foundation will release improvements on the hair system that probably would've been useful for this. I'll probably come  back and use that scene to try out new stuff. I'm also not sure why it turned out so grainy. Oh well.
  • I think Blender has an actual hair renderer if you don't want to deal with dem tubes.

Also holy shit I feel so inadequate about the stuff I did during New Media.
    Failed render looks like a shaggy dogbird.

• I thought of a way to get around the feather problem so I thought I'd give it a try. It looks better than I expected, but nonetheless still needed more refining (e.g. translucency) and that's about as many feathers as my computer can handle anyways, so...
    I think Blender has an actual hair renderer if you don't want to deal with dem tubes.
    At least in cycles, Blender renders the strands in its own hair system as them as either tubes or triangles (the first final render's feathers are wrongly tapered triangles), 
    Also holy shit I feel so inadequate about the stuff I did during New Media.
    If you show me yours I'll show you mine:

I probably didn't even know how to save render results at the time. I wish I still had my earlier creepy Cirno and redcoat ninja, but they were on the laptop that got stolen.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-02-08 21:15:28
    I think part of what's making the griffon look so weird is that birds don't have feathers that big on their face.  It works okay as a crest on top, but facial feathers are almost always very small and fine.  You're probably better just texing them.

Usually, feathers are rendered as a bump map unless they're big primaries.  There are algorithms to render feathers as individual objects, but they're the sort of thing you have symposium lectures on.

I think Houdini has a feather tool too -- I know FedEx doubled their Maya stuff through Houdini to generate feathers on their pigeon commercial, but I don't remember if it was a custom plugin or native support.  Also, Houdini was the name of my pet bird.

As for sharing my own embarrassments, I found an old flash drive with my NMC projects.

We did our first month in Maya on the 30-day trial.  The theme was "urban shithole" and we were supposed to only use a set of given textures.  After that we did Blender, but my final project wound up being really sparse because it was during crunch time for a bunch of programming stuff -- I just didn't have time to put in the kind of workshop-clutter it really needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h0f425k3uy4nmeq/AAALv4y1P2j8UeOwBSdAymgWa

I'll see if I can dig up the character renders for the storytelling class (unrelated), but those are even less substantive.  I didn't have rigs set up at all and half of them were never even given base primary colors.  They were all thrown together in the space of about four days.
  • edited 2015-02-10 03:20:05
    I could probably groom the bird further until it looks right. As a matter of fact, I tried to see if hair grooming works with objects-as-strands and unlike what I had assumed, it works, probably should've tried that one sooner. Lookie:

Work time - about 4:15, counting the first two hours and those other reworks. I wonder what's causing the feathers to go through the wings, or why there's what looks like a hole. Ah well.

Your urban shithole looks better than my early stuff, I didn't know how to add or map textures until I'd been a while at it. Then again, Blender Render's unintuitive material/texture interface probably had to do with it.
    Also this is the first version I made of that Patchouli above:

For some reason I don't have a front picture.

Note to self:
    Not having Multiple Importance Sample on is what makes those renders come out so grainy.
    ooh cel shading

• I'll end up redoing that face some day.
    Eye texture made by someone whose identity I can't find anymore.

Notes to self:
    Post whatever notes-to-self I have in draft on whichever post is next, even if unrelevant, so as to not lose it like how I lost a few.
    RGBa parameters are that, a float 4 value where transparency counts even if I don't intend to do anything with it. Not putting it as such will have transparency at a most likely undesirable value of .5, I think.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Do Geralt the witcher hunting down a Pokemon. Character design from the video game is acceptable.
  • edited 2015-03-21 09:15:58

Underwhelming, I know. It's the best I could do in the two hour timeframe, not suitable for whole scenes.

Pokémon models from models-resource.com (slightly modified), environment map from hdri-hub.com.

I'll keep taking requests, but note that I'm no longer readily able to just sit down and model, so there's a good chance it'll take me a long time to come up with results.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Kind of not what I expected, but it's all fine.
  • I guess it's time to call this project/experiment over:

Time elapsed: About 40 hours for the model, a couple more hours for a failed attempt at clothes, dozens of hours for experimenting with the shaders, and about 17 more hours on posing tweaks (LOTS of tweaks) , a four second animation that turned out horribly.
    I know it doesn't look that great, but I'm still pleased with the result, making 3D stuff in an (animated) anime style is, as simple as it might seem, actually hard as fuck to do, so while it's clearly not there yet, I'm glad I got as far as I did. Also this project made me rediscover non-photorealistic rendering, I tried my hand at animation, made my first script in it, and a couple other things.

That said, I'm disappointed that the rig is still messy (as you can see with the intersecting clothes, especially in the second picture) as well as that failed animation, and that I really didn't build the topology so as to allow for inner lines.

In unrelated news, I've been toying around with procedural modeling (tl;dr: modeling/programming in such a way as to being able to generate/change your model in automatic ways.), it's always caught my attention and I've done things procedurally as much as possible, but this time I'm using dedicated software for it (Houdini). Look, procedural frills:

Notes to self:
    Holy whoa the corrective smooth modifier (AKA delta mush deforming) is the best thing ever.
    The way to get around the fact that Blender Internal doesn't accept RGB as vector inputs is to pass the input through a vector math -> add node. Keep in mind that the result will be normalized.
    Make sure the metarig/rigify is catching the fingers properly. Just because it looks fine with the metarig doesn't mean it'll work fine with rigify.
    Leave object outlines for last.
    You gave her a lazy eye, but it looks fun with that change of style.
  • edited 2015-10-18 18:10:48
    That's not a lazy eye, that's how she'd actually look if looking at something above and to her left. Although I suppose in an actual animation one should disregard that and orient her eyes however they look right.
    Edit: Aww fuck, I just realized the specularity is gone for some reason (it's glitchy), no wonder she looks so plain. Oh well.
    Edit edit: Apparently at some point I deleted the light setup I had. Here's what she looks like with specularity using a hastily made light setup.