If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the term "man cave"

edited 2014-01-21 14:07:12 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

*facepalm* Damnit, we're supposed to be breaking down social barriers, not reinforcing them!

Comments

• I'd say anyone who uses that term in a derogatory manner will probably not care for said argument because they're likely to be a 'hur you can't be sexist against men' type. Anyone who gets seriously offended by that use is playing right into their hands. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

we're supposed to be breaking down social barriers

You would not believe how much not-this most people do on a regular basis.

• edited 2014-01-22 07:34:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ I'm actually talking about people using the term in a non-derogatory manner, in the sense of "the place where I get to do things that girls just don't get" (i.e. assuming girls just won't "get" stuff like videogames or mechanical crafts).

You would not believe how much not-this most people do on a regular basis.

:(

• I would think that gender segregation would run counter to the idea of a romantic relationship. But what do I know?

• The rational explanation is that a man cave is just a gendered term for hobby room, and having your own thing is vital to both sides of many a couple(plus you don't have fights over his/her stuff cluttering up space meant for another purpose). 

Gals get those hobbies just fine, but there's an ideological segment that thinks they are bastions of misogyny that need to be feminized before they can be enjoyed, instead of just more variation for the new audiences and slapping the userbase into shape. It's hilarious because it reaches the level of gender essentialism(see Sarkeesian's 'violence is masculine, negotiation is feminine, and we need more of the latter'). 

• I think that the problem is in how much those people value hygiene and an orderly house; seeing a cave as a rotten dank hole in the ground instead of the wondrous cavern that it is.

• a little muffled

Is the man cave where Man-Bat lives?

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • edited 2014-01-24 12:46:56

^ Man-Bat is an actual Batman character. I think he's a human that turned into some sort of bat-themed mutant monster rather than a bat dressed as a man, despite what the name suggests.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Truth be told I knew of that character, recognized the name at least, just didn't occur to me this was what Nyk meant.