If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Digitally downloading old games and what it entails/ implies

edited 2014-01-03 13:33:09 in Media
They're somethin' else.

Take for example old classic Capcom games. Thanks to Capcom's... fall from grace, shall we put it? I want to spend as little money on them as possible. And now, everytime I'm tempted to buy a Capcom game, I think to myself "are the proceeds going to go to the original staff members of this game?"

This is what stops me from buying old classic games a lot of the time. I love video games enough that I want to support whoever makes these games, but I'm not even sure if they're still earning any money from said games even as they're digitally distributed. As such, I usually just try and get a hard copy of the game anyway.

This doesn't just mean Capcom. Take for example games who's teams have disbanded a long time ago. If I buy Sengoku 3 on the virtual console, is any money really going to Noise Factory? If I do the same for Samurai Shodown I and II, is any of that money going to Team Galapagos?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I know that Capcom's done some stupid things lately, but I don't think the company ought to be treated as spitefully as it seems some fans are treating it.

Especially since the fact that they lack cash right now is partly the reason they can't do more interesting projects.

• I've been out of the loop. What's up wih Capcom?

I don't know about their other series, but fans generally feel that Capcom hasn't served the Mega Man series well.  There was the MMO Mega Man Universe which was shelved (at least for western release, I think).  The 25th anniversary came and went with hints of a new Mega Man game but nothing to show for it except for (1) Capcom officially endorsing a fangame (Street Fighter x Mega Man) and producing a game called Rockman Xover that allegedly barely has any gameplay (I think it plays like a slow rail shooter where you can choose to jump or shoot, and also has RPG-like bosses, and Mega Man X series music).  There was also their announcing Mega Man Legends 3 and wanting to make that a collaborative effort between them and the fans but the project got canned some time after announcement (though some people tend to think that that was a PR mistake in their announcing their intention to make a game far too early in the development process).

• They're somethin' else.

There's also the DmC: Devil May Cry debacle and the extremely poor handling of Darkstalkers as a crowdfunding project (something Arc System Works doesn't need, apparently). But that's beside the point.

I wish there were better ways to know more about japanese development teams. its too bad that every once in a while, everyone still goes by bizarre engrish aliases.

Think of them as internet usernames.

• "are the proceeds going to go to the original staff members of this game?"

Is this really a game-specific issue? I'd imagine this also applies to movies where the cast and crew's contracts don't cover home video releases decades after, or comics where the contracts don't cover reprints, and so on.

• edited 2014-01-03 19:40:03

Ah, here's an infamous example: David Prowse never got residual payments for playing Darth Vader, because "Hollywood accounting" allowed Lucasfilm or whomever to pretend that Return of the Jedi "never turned a profit". I guess this is sooooort of a different issue from an actor's contract not including home video revenue at all, but it's still an example of someone who worked on the project not getting money after it was made.