If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why do most people hate math?

GAPGAP
edited 2014-01-01 19:28:28 in General

I'll admit that I am not that good at math although I think my skill level is average as I managed to get to Algebra II. With that said, why do most people hate? Is it because it is abstract? IS it because people that the subject is forced down their throats? Or is it something? I know Math is an important subject as keep our society together and functioning yet most people despise as it appears to be the case of, "You cannot live it, you cannot live without it." situations.

Comments

• a little muffled

Because it's taught poorly in school and because it's a meme that you're supposed to hate math.

• I realized I liked math when we saw second-degree equations. I thought an equation having two solutions was the most awesome shit ever. So I guess being easily impressionable helps.

• Because math, for the most part, mainly involves tediously repeating a process that you've commited to memory over and over again. It isn't until much later (as in, university-level) that math involves any kind of actual thinking.

• Only if you have a shitty teacher.  Good math exercises are puzzles.

• I don't hate math.

I'm just bad at it.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Only if you have a shitty teacher.  Good math exercises are puzzles.

This.

My high school math teacher was infamously bad, and she ruined maths for me for years to come. Even though I used to excel at maths before high school, going to inter-school competitions and shit like that, in high school I could barely get a passing grade.

• Only if you have a shitty teacher.  Good math exercises are puzzles.

I use to able to do basic math in my head although I might need a refresher.

• edited 2014-01-03 15:59:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I find that it's easiest to do headmath when you think of the numbers pictorally rather than as digits on paper that are somehow related to each other.

For example, it's much slower to do 101 - 53 as 1 minus 3 doesn't work, 11 minus 3 is 8, borrow 1 from 0, 0 becomes 9, 9 minus 5 is 4, borrow 1 from 1, 0 minus nothing is 0, so your latest digit is the leftmost digit so your leftmost digit is a 4, and the next one is an 8, so the answer's 48.

It's much more intuitive to think: 101 is close to 100, 53 is close to fifty, 100 is twice as long as 50 so you have 50 left before tweaks, 101 is +1 tweak upward, but 53 means subtracting 3 tweak, so you have net -2 tweak.  50 base -2 tweak = 48.  That +1 is like pushing the 100 a little to the right, but the 53 that you cut off from the left is pushed further to the right, so the end result is that you end up with a block a little less than 50 wide.

• I just did 101 - 53 = 100 + 1 - 53 = (100 - 53) + 1 = 47 + 1 = 48

Also, I used to be very good at headmath, before I got into university and it became useless.

• a little muffled

im in university and im still good at headmath

Normally I would do that one as 101 - 50 - 3.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-05 06:10:35

If I'm working with more than one digit, I don't actually do mental subtraction.  Ever.  My brain frames the problem as 53 + x = 101, and I get 48 pretty quickly from just trying to rig the digits right to left.

• How so, like "if x is 50 then I get 103, I chop off 2 and so I get 101, or 48"?
    I do something like that with division, roots and logarithms, although I assume that's not unusual.
    Also, now that I try that again I get 101 - 53 = 101 - 3 - 50 = 98 - 50 = 48
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-05 20:26:43

I mean, "I need a 1 in the ones place, so I add an 8 and carry a ten.  I need 0 tens, so I add 4 and carry a hundred.  48."

I just fill in the number right to left.