If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Casting a single person to play twins

edited 2013-12-27 23:56:46 in Media
There is love everywhere, I already know

Especially if it's the main character. I'm pretty sure that no matter what it's more expensive to do this, especially when you could just cast actual twins (Of which I'm sure there are many sets in Hollywood or Texas, which seems to be the only place the Disney Channel casts from).

I mean, aside from it's troubled first season production, I'm pretty sure part of the reason The Lying Game was cancelled was they couldn't cover the cost of all the re-filming they had to do for Sutton/Emma scenes. And now the Disney Channel is doing the exact same thing with Dove Cameron's vehicle (And I'm pretty sure there are a billion scripts about a normal middle class girl whose life is changed forever when X happens that they could have chosen from).

There just don't seem to be any benefits yet people keep doing it.

Comments

• GARO had one actor play two brothers. Having them face each other and emote was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm guessing this is about a live-action thing, since voicing would be no problem, and the first thing I thought of was the Futami twins.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there actually just aren't that many identical twin actors, especially ones that specifically look like what you want the characters to look like, especially if you already have an established appearance for the character.  It's probably rather hard to switch.

• edited 2013-12-28 09:49:15
    There is love everywhere, I already know

The Lying Game is adapted from a (very successful) series of novels where one twin is dead and is only the narrator, this would've worked wonders for the TV version, and as I said that other show is merely a Dove Cameron vehicle, it could have been about literally anything (ie. her two upcoming movies).

There's also an original show called Ringer, which was cancelled after one season because of the same costs. Despite it being proven not to work this people keep doing this.

@glennmagusharvey: What I'm trying to say is the cost outweighs any story reasons, so it seems easier to just find twins or do another show.

• Whenever someone mentions this, I always think of The Patty Duke Showeven though Duke's characters weren't even supposed to be twins!

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Anyways, Dove Cameron's vehicle is the first Disney show to get it's second season slashed in half (It'll have 13 episodes compared to the first's 26, which is possibly just their nice way of cancelling it before anybody gets those surprisingly hard to get out of even for Disney themselves three seasons guaranteed contracts).

I'm definitely blaming this, even though the show itself is definitely just a less interesting mash-up of Modern Family (docucam stuff, though I'm inclined to point out Modern Family isn't all that interesting by itself anyways) and The Thundermans (Twins who do stuff, though on The Thundermans they have super powers and the chemistry that comes with two inexperienced actors growing together as opposed to one being stifled by having to shoot the same scene at least twice everyday).

And this isn't their way of dumping Dove Cameron, since they've signed her on for that Maleficent spinoff movie and gave her top billing on the DC Play It Loud Album.

If it's starting to sound like I know way too much about the Disney Channel it's because I do.