If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The thread for random thoughts about gender and sexuality

edited 2013-12-09 06:14:16 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Because I'm not sure how much this merits its own thread.

Just had the TV on a moment ago.  Caught a bit of Smallville.  Probably the beginning of an episode.  It's a comic books convention.  There's this boy who really wants to find out the origin of this superhero.  At one point he bumps into an Stormtrooper from Star Wars.

...who is actually Lois Lane in costume, apparently needing to do a human interest piece for a news organization.  She and a companion lament that she looks totally unattractive...and they are immediately contrasted with a couple girls in...was it some sort of weird combination of goth clothing and revealing casual clothing or something? definitely not normal street clothing...anyway, they were posing with some guy for a picture.

Well, actually, I thought Lois was WAY more attractive than those two.  I mean, she had a ponytail and a suit of armor!  At the very least, those two girls didn't have their hair in ponytails.

Why do people seem to consider ponytails unsexy?  It's like some sort of societal standard that girls have to let their hair down to become more attractive.  Coincidentally, what with the general expectation that girls have long hair, if it's straight hair, then long straight hair gets in the way more often when it's not tied up.

It's like there's an implicit standard that girls are more attractive when not doing cool things.  What the fuck, culture.

Comments

• It's not that girls are more attractive when not doing cool things.

It's that no cool things are feminine in nature.

This is what is known as a mixed message. 

• edited 2013-12-09 09:56:22

Stormtrooper armor is rather unsexy for being designs that scream "cannon fodder minions".

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Well, actually, I thought Lois was WAY more attractive than those two.  I mean, she had a ponytail and a suit of armor!  At the very least, those two girls didn't have their hair in ponytails.

While I do agree with your aesthetics there, please do not confuse these aesthetics with opposing gender double standards.

I mean this thing is annoying on two levels:

1) the general expectations that everybody would find feminine outfits attractive. That's obviously false, but in the end more of a problem for men and not that grand in scope.

2) more importantly, the expectation that girls have to wear feminine stuff and generally have to be "attractive"... which means in things like Halloween etc. that they are just supposed to wear "sexy" stuff. That is the far greater problem. Whether you find girls in stormtrooper armours attractive or not is irrelevant. What's relevant is that woman's outfit choices, particularly at such things as Halloween or carnival, shouldn't be judged by how much men will like them - after all, it isn't like the reverse is true, for the most part, so this is a double standard.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What's relevant is that woman's outfit choices, particularly at such things as Halloween or carnival, shouldn't be judged by how much men will like them - after all, it isn't like the reverse is true, for the most part, so this is a double standard.

You're right on the mark about this.

The main reason I cited attractiveness is because the show immediately juxtaposed Lois in a Stormtrooper uniform with a scene indicating attractiveness (complete with fawning noises, if I recall correctly, but I don't know where to check source).

• The question is, why the hell were you watching Smallville in the first place?

• The question is, why the hell were you watching Smallville in the first place?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Because it started showing after an episode of Law & Order SVU finished airing.