If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Downloading multiple counties worth of shapefiles from ESRI's Census 2000 site

edited 2013-11-15 09:02:06 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, for those of you who don't know, if you know your way around GIS software (that's basically map-making and map-analyzing software), there's lots of free data for it floating around the web.  One such place is a thing set up by ESRI, the company that makes the most famous GIS software in use currently (that being ArcGIS).  You can go to this site -- http://www.esri.com/data/download/census2000-tigerline -- and download all sorts of data from the 2000 U.S. Census.

So I knew that that the Census has county-level data, including county borders.  Which I want for an assignment.

> download county-level data for all counties in the state commonwealth* of Virginia

> get .zip file

I wonder what this contains.

I think it should contain the shapefiles for all the counties.

> open .zip file

> contains one .zip file for each county, inside the original .zip file

* Virginia technically calls itself a "Commonwealth".  However, it is still a state for the purpose of being one of the 50 U.S. states.  But it's still something that people have fun nitpicking about.

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, what can you do with it?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, I was going to make a map showing how the counties line up to a lat-long grid at every quarter degree, because I wanted something more than just the bare outline of the state plus a grid.  Then again, I could have gotten away with a bare outline of the state.  But I'm actually not sure where to find a bare state outline, so I went with the next best already-known idea.