If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The marginalization of title sequences

edited 2013-10-23 01:55:28 in General

There's a lot of primetime TV series these days whose intros/title sequences last, what, five seconds? And a lot of the time they don't even include a "created by" credit.

And how many movies these days wait until right before the end credits to show their titles?

It's supposed to be the minimization of "clutter" but things feel weird to me without packaging...

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I thought movies generally show opening credits bit by bit along with setting-setting scenes, and end the opening credits with the name of the movie.  They don't do that anymore?

• There's a whole bunch that don't these days (e.g. Avatar, How to Train Your DragonEpicMan of Steel)

• edited 2013-10-23 12:00:14
    There is love everywhere, I already know

As I haven't seen any movies in ever, I can at least vouch for the TV aspect of this. Twisted and Nashville each have like .5 second OP sequences, Switched At Birth is 3 seconds of the logo. I think the only two series that don't do it that are still running and that I know of are Pretty Little Liars (started a long time ago) and The Lying Game (Based on another one of the writer of Pretty Little Liars' book series).

The one thing that bugs me about American title sequences is their lack of credits even when they do exist. I mean, credits going like 10 minutes into an episode is really jarring.

And series no longer have EDs either (Switched at Birth used to, but doesn't anymore). The EDs were/are usually cute little musical pieces....

Oh wait The Lying Game was cancelled mid second season.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-23 17:21:34

I approve of cutting title sequences for the most part.  Gives you another solid minute for story.

What I don't approve of is minimizing the end credits and speeding through them at 400 mph just because the network wants to ram more of the same ads they've already been interspersing throughout down your throat.

• Don't like that either.

One good thing about the rise of Netflix: no squished credits!