If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"God of X".

edited 2013-08-26 20:33:05 in General

So here's the thing; whenever I see a polytheistic deity in fiction, more often than not, their godliness is represented as superpowers. The God of War is a super-strong unkillable man. The God of Death can kill with a touch. The God of Thunder can call forth the lightning. It's just so...boring.

I mean, I like Marvel's Thor and Ares, but they don't really shine for me when they throw their power around. No, they shine when they can declare who they are, what they are, in new and inventive ways, which I hardly ever see anymore.

Like this.

s

q

Or this.

q

g

tl;dr: When gods speak, the world should shake.

Comments

• the New 52 Wonder Woman has some really neat takes on the gods.  I love how Artemis, Apollo, and Hermes seem almost alien.  The whole demigods angle is a little bit too Percy Jackson, but they've kept it interesting enough for me to look forward every month.  I assume that the fifth surviving one mentioned by Lennox is Cassie Sandsmark. 

• Judging by her outlandish attire she's some sort of free-thinking anarchist

I don't think it's necessary for the world to shake. Just as long as the characters do. Hell, some gods you should be able to tell on sight, regardless of their introduction. If they show up, people should be immediately alert without fully knowing why. 

• Oh, precisely. 

Although with some other gods their identity is unknown, then when you piece it together it all makes sense, and you notice all the little things, and that's a great joy.