If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When something you think is not as good gets all the attention

edited 2013-08-25 18:31:04 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Right now, someone seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) organizing a thread over at HH for the social game "Mafia", and I'm feeling a bit annoyed at how many people play that (in meatspace at least) even though I don't get its incredible appeal.  I've played it, and it's reasonably amusing, but nowhere near overwhelmingly so.  I'd much rather start a thread for a game like word-guessing games French Toast or Contact (though Contact can't be properly played on a forum, French Toast can), though I'm a bit irked at the fact that I don't have the time right now to follow-up on it and make it work.  (I've tried to do Contact over IRC before, where it can work, but I haven't been able to get enough participants yet.)  I find those two games far more fun than Mafia, as far as social games that need few to no props go.  But everyone keeps playing Mafia all the time.

Similarly, Big 2 is a more fun and more strategic card game than Asshole.  But everyone plays Asshole and no one plays Big 2 (alternatively, I don't hang out with Chinese people or ABCs enough, I guess).

A similar though somewhat different phenomenon happens when I suggest playing Mao.  I think of it as a game for creative rulemaking and rule-testing, while most people probably are burned by its use as a hazing tool.  I can take to calling my version "Deng", but still...

This happens a lot with creative media works, of course, though it also happens elsewhere.

I do wonder...say, @fourteenwings, you've been very critical of Sword Art Online.  How does its popularity make you feel?

~takes a penalty card~

Comments