If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Google Chrome

edited 2013-08-16 17:10:05 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> want to install Google Chrome

> go to download Google Chrome

> click download button, seeing no other place to choose an appropriate version

> no download screen

> suddenly, an administrative privileges dialog box

WTF D:<

no

do not want

> search for "google chrome installer exe"

Apparently there's such a thing as an "offline installer".  This means that what they were trying to do earlier was an "online install" I guess.

what kind of sorcery is this and how do i tell it to fuck off Why would I ever want to use an online installer?  It gives me no chance of deciding whether the installation I've chosen is suited for my machine and my needs.  Such as 64-bit vs. 32-bit Windows, or choosing an older version for compatibility reasons.

FYI, info for a standalone installer is available here: https://support.google.com/installer/answer/126299?hl=en

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I downloaded the installer for multiple users.

> start Google Chrome installer

> admin privileges question

This time, when clicking no, the install fails (unlike with the online installer).

> click yes

> installing Chrome

waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait

what happened to that step where i choose what directory to install it to

or what shortcuts i do or don't want where

...actually, come to think of it, i should just go for a portable install, like I've done with Opera.  Least OS integration YEAH

http://portableapps.com/node/37366

"The actual full installer we use is purposely made difficult to find by Google."

Well, fuck.

At least someone has this, let me try it: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Google Chrome Portable/Additional Versions/GoogleChromePortable_28.0.1500.95_online.paf.exe/download

If not, I'm just gonna use the alternative Waterfox I have to access gmail.  I'll find another use for Opera.

• You don't get to choose what directory to install to because if you install anywhere other than your home directory Google can't actually update the app because Windows 7 has a broken update model.

• Personally I don't care if it cannot update, programs do not go in %APPDATA%. Doing so is a big middle finger to all windows admins and goes against windows best practices. 

• edited 2013-08-16 19:54:01
    (void)

You don't care about security patches?  Good to know.  Windows best practices are a middle finger to the user for something like a browser.

• There are ways to have silent automatic updates without having to install in the application data directory. Google just wanted the installer to get around admin rights on locked down computers. 

Why not just have the program check for updates every single time it starts up, like many other programs do, and ask the user to update if an update is available?

• Because people can and do say no.  And it's annoying.  And doing it over and over inures people to it so they automatically click yes.

• edited 2013-08-16 23:44:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Should instead do what FileZilla (for example) does: give new version number and brief description of update (e.g. "Fixed: * security issue with search bar * text display bug in title bar).

• There's a reason I only use Chrome for the web dev tools.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I never use Chrome. Only Opera and Firefox for Facebook, since for some reason it won't work on Opera
  • Chrome might be hasty, but whenever I use it I don't feel secure. Also, the new versions hates extensions and just blocks them for no reason whatsoever and you can hardly do anything about it.

Seven's User Account Controls really just breaks everything old. Really best just to shut it up, as long as you know what you're doing.

• Whenever I install Chrome on a machine for the first time, I always use the "alternate" installer so it can install in Program Files instead of AppData. Partly because installing things in AppData irritates me on principle, but mostly because...you know, if you install it in AppData, each user has to have their own copy, whereas installing it in Program Files means every user can use it.

I know there's not exactly a point to being miserly with disk space in this day and age, but I still prefer to cut away unnecessary "fat" where I can.