If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The problem with "officially" installing software

edited 2013-08-13 01:24:15 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

By this I mean using an installer which will register your program in the registry, create shortcuts from the Start Menu and/or Desktop and/or Quick Launch, put it in your list of installed programs and stuff.  And I'm speaking about Windows, but I presume the process has to be similar in other operating systems.

My old computer has a folder full of games.  My dad currently uses this computer.  He wants more space.  I can free up 50 gigabytes of space immediately by simply navigating to the games folder's containing folder, highlighting the games folder, pressing shift+del, and clicking "yes".

BUT...that will break a ton of shortcuts and other associated pieces of data all over the place.  And might even make uninstalling the software impossible until I reinstall it just to put the uninstaller back in the right place.

Why can't I just install programs by decompressing their archive files and sticking the result in a desired location in my filesystem?

Comments

• Computers are complicated.

• edited 2013-08-13 01:43:24
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Why can't I just install programs by decompressing their archive files and sticking the result in a desired location in my filesystem?

This is essentially how you install new programs in OS X without using the Mac App Store. Just throwing this out there.

• Go to add/remove programs.  It'll usually have access to the program's uninstall functions if you can't find them.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ Which still doesn't work in one of the scenarios Glenn described above:

And [simply deleting the files] might even make uninstalling the software impossible until I reinstall it just to put the uninstaller back in the right place.

• This always bugged me too, especially because many uninstallers don't properly clean up after themselves and leave stray files or registry keys behind.

This is essentially how you install new programs in OS X without using the Mac App Store. Just throwing this out there.

I always liked that. Plain and simple.

Of course, the designers of OS X (or rather, NeXTSTEP) had the luxury of starting from scratch, whereas modern MS Windows is built on Windows NT which was built as a backwards-compatible replacement for 16-bit Windows which was built on top of MS-DOS. All those "made sense at the time" decisions start to build up after 20 years or so. :\

• edited 2013-08-13 14:01:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ Actually I think I've found that Windows 7 is more forgiving regarding that.  At the very least it'll say "We can't find the uninstaller; wanna just remove this entry from the programs list?"

But yeah, I'll admit that some programs do have more than just "double-click-to-run", and benefit from more OS integration.  Things like Virtual Clone Drive, for example.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI the other problem I ran into was this:

> attempt to uninstall Zombie Shooter

> it tries to start Steam

> Steam starts downloading piles of updates

> stop it in mid-download because it'll attempt to sign onto Steam and I'm already signed onto Steam from another computer

> uninstall does not happen

Oh, c'mon, why does it require Steam to uninstall???

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

you could use a third-party uninstaller?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...wouldn't that be swallowing a spider to catch a fly?

• Eh.  CCleaner is pretty palatable as far as spiders go, but uninstallation isn't precisely what you use it for.  It tends to catch leftover files from a messy uninstall as a side effect though.