If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Garage (n.)

edited 2013-08-10 14:24:29 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. a structure used to store motor vehicles.

2. chiefly US.  a structure used to store everything other than motor vehicles.

Comments

• It always amused me that the Commonwealth English term for a parking garage is "multi-storey car park".

Like, that's four words to describe something most Americans would just use the single word "garage" for.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, US Americans would call that a "parking garage".

• How often do you actually say "parking garage" though? Most of the time the "parking" can be assumed from context.

"Hey Samantha, where'd you park?" "Oh, I'm in the garage."

"Do you have any change? I need some for the garage at the science museum."

and so on

• Eh, I've mostly heard it as "parking garage", which is still less unwieldy than "multi-story car park"

• Surprisingly, I've almost always heard it as the full two words for the building and the singular referring to the single-home variety.  "Parking lot" and "parking garage" are rarely contracted down to one word.  At least where I grew up (D.C. area). 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ also refers well to single-story covered parking beneath some residential apartment buildings.