If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

wireless or wired keyboard/mouse?

edited 2013-08-09 21:15:10 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Which one do you prefer and why?

Comments

• I just wrote about this on my blog the other day, so I will copypaste because I am a lazy ass:

I still really don’t understand the appeal of wireless mice, especially when used with a laptop.

Like, maybe if I had a desktop computer with a tangled mess of wires behind it, I’d find it worthwhile to have one fewer cord and be able to move my mouse freely without being constrained by the length of its cord.

But with a laptop, I rarely have more than two cords running to it (power and headphones), and I have to keep the machine in close proximity to me anyway, so even a relatively short cord gives me a sufficient range of motion. The one I have now is only a little over two feet long and I’ve never had any trouble with it.

Why would I want to use a mouse that forces me to fuss with batteries and Bluetooth connections when I can just plug in a wired mouse and start using it straight away?

That said, I do want to buy myself a wireless keyboard.

Partly because it would be nice to be able to pick up a keyboard and set it on my lap the way I always did with desktop PCs, but mostly because I’d like a keyboard that I can use with my Nexus 7 because I, admittedly, still find typing with a touchscreen to be a pain when I’m typing anything longer than a simple forum or blog post.

• I prefer wireless mice over wired. Most of the time the cord is too long or too fragile for my use. Right now my mouse is only a few inches from my laptop and the cord would just get in my way. For keyboards I really do not care. 

• a little muffled

I really wish I had a wireless mouse. Especially since I tend to switch mousing hands reasonably often and it is a bitch to deal with the wire jungle every time.

• My arms are falling off!

Wireless is good for on-the-go, but I generally prefer wired. This coming from someone who plays games that require a mouse, and in general hates mouse lag, especially when trying to click small things.

• I'm pretty satisfied with my wireless mouse and keyboard, but I still feel obligated to post this:

• Nice to know Hussie gets where I'm coming from.

Honestly, the main dealbreaker for me is that wireless mice need batteries. I hate having to futz around with batteries, especially if there's an easy alternative.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, I have this one wireless mouse, but it's got a crappy response and it's kinda big.  But it still works so I don't want to just junk it and buy a new one.

• I do get not wanting to deal with batteries but I've never had too much issue with batteries. Possibly because I rarely get the cheapest mice, but I've never had too much issue with lag or response either. 

• edited 2013-08-11 13:21:31
    a little muffled

If I were to buy a wireless mouse I'd probably have to splurge for an expensive one, for the sake of my sanity. I have heard enough horror stories about cheap ones.

This is part of the reason I don't have one.

• I'd always have my batteries crap out at an inconvenient time.  I didn't have internet at home when I was in college, so I had to do most of my WoW raiding from the library.  Healing raids with a touchpad?  Bad news boomkins.