If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Impulse enjoyment

edited 2013-08-05 01:57:14 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

(No, this isn't about Gamestop's digital distribution service.)

For some reason, it seems that the best way to get me to experience a piece of media is to cause me to do so on impulse.

Example: When I first discover a game, and think it looks interesting, and then go try it out, that's probably the best way to make me spend a chunk of time on it.  On impulse.  If, instead, I note that it seems interesting, then I write its name down, and I look up reviews of it, and ask my peers for their opinions on it, etc....then I might have just put it on the backburner already and I become less likely to actually get around to playing it.

Anyone else experience this?

I also wonder if this is related to my not being enthused by my peers going nuts about an entertainment item.

Comments

• edited 2013-08-05 02:12:55
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I'll compare this with a phenomenon I'd like to call "MAL Culture":

When I discover an anime title that I think is interesting I'll usually look it up on MAL and read the summary, avoiding reviews as they are the plague in disguise. I usually won't ask anyone, unless I'm somewhat unsure of the premise.

In fact, moments before you created this thread I discovered through CDJapan a series called Mirai Shounen Conan, which I immediately looked up on MAL and then filed in my mind as "To Watch, Sometime".

As for the other concept; I've noticed that it actually takes me a while to watch anything to the end or even start anything if I also have seasonal anime obligations. But last season when I dropped everything I did exactly as you would with a game, impulsively decided to watch something and immensely enjoyed myself. It's not exactly the best way, as my mind also has the habitual seasonal watching thing built into my psyche, but I'd put both on the same level.

I also wonder if this is related to my not being enthused by my peers going nuts about an entertainment item.

For me, this is mere hipsterism but probably actually that whenever a lot of people seem to enjoy something I tend to try it and not get it or it's at the other spectrum of anything I'm interested in.