If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I was the victim of a Brick Joke today

edited 2013-08-03 18:27:31 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The state of Maryland decided to fine me for allegedly doing 71 in a 55 MPH work zone, sometime back in May.

I think the alleged location of this incident is the work zone at the northern intersection of I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) and I-95.  They have this huge thing that looks like a cloverleaf turned inside out or something.

The stupidest part about this is that, if that place really does have a 55 MPH work zone speed limit, I gotta ask: why did they route the traffic so well?  It's practically routed seamlessly!  Sure you can see all the construction around you but the point of it is that traffic just flows right past it seamlessly and without a hitch.  No bumpy road joints, no lane closures, no erased lane markets, no nothing.  So why reduce the speed limit if they routed it like this?

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

For some reason I can't shake the feeling this is a set-up for some kind of pun.

• There are two possible answers, neither of which is all that satisfying.

The first answer is the cynical one: "Why would they care? They just want your money!"

The other answer is that, although they've managed to work with minimal disruption of traffic flow, there may be certain times during the project where workers or equipment must work in close proximity to the open portion of roadway, possibly (but not necessarily) including short-term lane closures on nights and weekends.

Personally, I like the approach ODOT's using with this summer's I-71 resurfacing: they've put out electronic speed limit signs. During the day, the speed limit remains at its usual 65 mph, but at night, when the work begins, the speed limit is dropped to 55. It's a nice considerate way of maintaining worker safety while still minimizing the impact to drivers.