If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Web ad features

edited 2013-07-14 12:01:25 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is it just me, or is anyone else actually actively distrustful of web advertisements/promotional features?

I just googled "idris elba" to figure out what that was (British actor and singer who stars in Pacific Rim, apparently), and there was an ad that showed up as the first "search result", looking like a Youtube search result and suggesting a trailer for the movie Pacific Rim.

So I became curious to watch a trailer for the movie.  But instead of clicking that, I went to my browser's search bar, picked Youtube, and then typed in "pacific rim trailer".

Anyone else do this?

Comments

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I wouldn't know, I've been using Adblock Plus for the past three years.

• Ads are how websites make money, but that doesn't mean you should click every time.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Yeah, I know. I've been thinking about whether I should stop. The main reason I started using an adblocker was as part of a bigger effort to cut down on the resource hogging that otherwise slowed my Windows box to a crawl, but since I've almost completely stopped using my Windows box now, that's no longer a significant issue.
  • Yeah, active distrust of ads is a thing for me. It may be paranoia or whatever, but I just don't trust most folks, and that extends to internet ads. One too many malware-type-things a while back...