If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: words I am tired of seeing

edited 2013-07-03 10:33:47 in General

• disingenuous

• tone policing/tone argument

• shaming

• trigger warning/triggering

• privilege

• buzzword

• disenfranchising

• PoC (I know it's an acronym but shut up)

• appropriating/appropriative

• prejudice + power

Comments

• Kichigai birthday!!

What's PoC an acronym for?

• Person/people of color

• edited 2013-07-03 10:58:32
    Kichigai birthday!!

Oh, I see

To be honest I don't go on tumblr too much so I don't know what half of these mean

• oppression/oppressive

problematic

• *reverse racism

*misandry

*homage

*freedom of speech

*heterophobia

*equity

*universal

• *the

*you

*life

• I only use tumblr for ask blogs, so I don't see many of these words used the way some of you guys might use them.

• They're somethin' else.

*salty

*technology

*yomi

*fraud

• edited 2013-07-04 05:10:24

*reverse racism

The entire concept of reverse racism is ridiculous. Discriminating against white people is not reverse racism: it is simply racism.

• I've never seen the point either of redefining racism so that it cannot apply to white people. What is empowering about having to explain that it's not the correct definition when 'institutionalized racism' does just as well and draws attention to the aspect you're trying to emphasize? It's an excellent way to stonewall any productive discussion with semantic wank.

The most sensible explanation I ever got was someone applying Foucault's repressive hypothesis of sexuality(in short, sexuality as a concept only solidified when the emergence of nation-states in the Victorian era, as the gubbermint tried to take control of reproduction) to race(race as a Western concept only solidified with the advent of phrenology/eugenics/other pseudoscience, roughly in the same era). I'd argue that we have the nomer 'scientific racism' for that, and that such an idea erases plenty of self-defining narratives of non-Western peeps that predate any contact with the white man, but it's the best explained approach to 'racism as a Western invention' as you're gonna get.

• The only time "PoC" really bugs me is when people use it as an adjective to describe something other than a person.

Like I once saw someone refer to Taco Bell as "fake PoC food". Really? Is something wrong with just saying "Mexican" in that sentence?

• I've never seen the point either of redefining racism so that it cannot apply to white people. What is empowering about having to explain that it's not the correct definition when 'institutionalized racism' does just as well and draws attention to the aspect you're trying to emphasize? It's an excellent way to stonewall any productive discussion with semantic wank.

Another thing I hate about people like that is that for people so concerned about semantics, they sure get pissy about tone policing.

• edited 2013-07-04 09:53:06

The world according to Tumblr<br>
I am not sure if I captured all the subtleties of tumblr’s political discourse though, Russia may be part of the USA too for all I know.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, Russia is some other color.

• *salty, *technology, *fraud

Haha, someone is part of the online fighting game scene, or at least follows it. 

As someone who cares about truth very much, I unequivocally hate anyone that uses the word "truther" unironically. 

• *coward

*receipt

*breeder

*feefees

*immature

• Breeder is the weakest insult ever.

It's the equivalent of calling someone a namby-pamby.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

As for me, it's still gonna be "rape culture". Sounds like it's about thanking the girl afterwards.

• I always parse it as rap culture, which is relevant because white people only make the misogynistic, exploitative, objectifying parts of that genre popular.

• Would it be okay to add "selfie" to the list? Also, what do people think of responding to the question "how are you?" with "living the dream" and suchlike?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What exactly does "living the dream" mean?  What does such an answer say about that person's dreams?

• I wish I knew the answer to that, but from what I can tell, 9 times out of 10 the phrase is meant as some kind of sarcastic quip. Perhaps asking someone next time what that person's dream is might be a good way to deal with that response. Thanks for the tip.

• Stonewall them with politeness and niceness, perhaps even playing stupid to their hostile intentions. Also, a new word: USian.

• "USian" always got to me because it's not even as absolutely unambiguous as people who use it want it to be. Mexico's official name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, so technically it could also be referred to as a "United States".

Is that needlessly pedantic? Yes, but so is the notion that using "American" to refer specifically to the US is ambiguous or incorrect. You don't get to be just a little bit pedantic; if you're gonna start nitpicking it has to be all or nothing. v_v

• edited 2013-07-16 02:34:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How about "Usaian"?  Pronounced like "you sayin'".

Unfortunately, it still suffers the "unusual neologism that no one else uses" problem.

• edited 2013-07-16 17:36:19
    Judging by her outlandish attire she's some sort of free-thinking anarchist

Personally I think there is value in examining the way people use language and what aspects of North American culture are unthinkingly bad things-ist, and as such the spirit of many of these tumblrs resonates with me. I would really, really like to be able to stick up for them.

Sadly, I can't, because every single one of them accepts content produced by passive-aggressive assholes who think they're funny for being passive-aggressive, and none of them have any sense of charity or mercy. It's like someone took hundreds of That Girl from high school English Lit class and groomed them to be the next generation of televangelists. And I say that as a former and indeed current That Girl.

• Could you describe "That Girl" to me? I'm afraid I lack the background having not gone to school for many years.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Like wise.

• edited 2013-07-16 19:24:06
    Diet NEET

Much as I mock it, I keep a file with all the handy-dandy research and a folder with all the hatebait pictures. 1 in every 100 posts or so is actually useful instead of repetitive callouts, donation-begging and ineffectual GIFs that make my chan sentiments cringe, but it can actually be enlightening if you have the patience for it.

• edited 2013-07-22 12:27:05
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

ITT: words I am tired of seeing

"Plate-mail".

(race as a Western concept only solidified with the advent of phrenology/eugenics/other pseudoscience, roughly in the same era)

Debatable; some people place the beginnings of Western concepts of race somewhere in Classical Antiquity, with the Greeks. Others consider it to have begun in earnest with the reemergence of slave trade in the Renaissance. That said, there's no doubt that many modern facets of racial discrimination are based on Victorian considerations. That also being said, discrimination based on ethnicity or a similar equivalent has been around for ages in many different areas of the world. An example that springs to mind is East Asia, where the conflicts between China, Korea and Japan fostered a kind of discrimination based on belonging to a particular kingdom, empire or whatever.