If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Using angry language

edited 2013-07-02 19:35:19 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm not a big fan of the anime series Lucky Star.  But someone on Youtube posted a comment wondering if Azumanga Daioh is "the spin off of lucky star?".  Uh, no, AzuDai dates from 2002 and before, while LS came out in 2007.

I could say this in response:

This series predates Lucky Star by several years.

I could alternatively say this in respones:

This series predates the useless piece of shit known as Lucky Star by several years.

and I'm fully aware that the latter response is far more likely to lead to a flamewar than the former.  I'm fully aware that I can choose the former and be done with it, and probably slightly increase my cred as a disinterested truth-teller, or I can choose the latter and expect to have some fun down the road in my Youtube comment reply inbox.

Why can't other people recognize this distinction?  Why do I have to slog through comments that refer to Republican members of Congress as "Rethuglicans", even though I already agree that their agenda is full of crap?  Why do I have to carefully dance around people's use of a term like "pedoshit" by agreeing with their condemnation of the content while also expressing my disagreement with the implied anger of the term?  etc.

Comments

• Come on, you aren't even trying.

"Did you type that out yourself or did you have help? Do you even know how to google? Lucky Shit is otaku-pandering lel-so-fanneh maymay tripe that completely ruïned the genre Azumanga Daioh helped establish. Go guzzle legos, slip in bleach and come back when you have a better taste in animu."

Also, "gateway anime of the worst kind" copypastas if you are lazy.

In all seriousness, comments sections are the lowest common denominator of humanity. Only ever read them to stock up on insults.

• edited 2013-07-02 19:43:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Ehh, you know that's not my style.

And I am not sure you should advise someone to slip in bleach; they might just mistake the two kinds of bleach.

• Kichigai birthday!!

^^ Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind is a gateway copypasta of the worst kind. It’s a bad pasta, a clusterfuck of fallacies and contradictions that aren't very well thought out in any way, that attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive buzzwords and PARAGRAPHS. The normal /a/ browser can see it as the shit that it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that it as a copypasta, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of copypasta spam faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered exaggerations where it tries its hardest to look cool, the walls of text, peculiar, colorful language, the whole run-on sentence faggotry and everything about the copypasta fuels their spamming fantasies, while the pity-party motivation for spamming this pasta, emphasis on “faggotry”, and overall preachiness of the copypasta makes it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this sh!t right the fuck up.

Gateway is basically THE copypasta to attract the most hated /a/ posters known to the world, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of Gateway copypasta posters and everyone who likes them and ensure that no copypasta posts ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.
    4chan is a self-moderated community. Moderators only enforce rule violations, and the community’s judgement sets standards on top of that. /a/ does not run on "if it's not explicitly against the rules, it's okay”.

• Lucky Star is enjoyed by Confused Matthew.

That is all I need to hate it.

• a little muffled

Wait what. Doesn't that guy hate anime? Lucky Star is like the most anime anime.

• I don't understand either.

• I'm done with you all.

• tone policing shmone policing

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, it's diction; you can't show tone on the internet (very effectively at least).

• edited 2013-07-04 19:29:53
    Loser

Well, to be fair, Lucky Star is a pretty garbage show.

In any event, I wish I had an answer for why some people choose the rude response when the less abrasive and just as accurate one is available. While comments sections admittedly are not usually pleasant places, the comments on them were typically written by humans at some point and I find it sad and frustrating that some people think that having that kind of attitude is okay.

Also, though this is probably going to sound silly, I feel like it is sort of important to not feel superior to someone who makes a seemingly thoughtless comment someplace, since it is the attitude the person is expressing that is problematic, not the person him or herself as an individual.

As for the "Rethuglicans" thing, it seems to me like part of it is just making an "us vs. them" type dynamic by belittling political opponents, especially when people see others on their side engaging in similar name-calling. Of course, that is not to say that it is wrong for people to get enraged at times by the policies of a political party, just that calling someone a bad name accomplishes next to nothing.

• edited 2013-07-04 21:17:33
    Kichigai birthday!!

Well, to be fair, Lucky Star is a pretty garbage show.

Bu-but your avatar...

• Westerners watching Lucky Star just seems to be missing the point, like asking a random Japanese guy to watch Scary Movie.  There's rather little chance someone from our side of the ocean who hasn't actually spent a huge amount of time living in Japan, certainly not your average weeaboo, would be anywhere near intimately familiar enough with Japanese pop culture to understand half the jokes.

• a little muffled

That is an exaggeration.