If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Shared space" in city planning

edited 2013-07-02 18:36:02 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

TL;DR: a way to design streets in urban areas as to reduce street markings and (I guess?) traffic control needs by increasing uncertainty so that drivers are more cautious of pedestrians and drive more slowly.  May go with redesigns of street plans to bring vehicle speeds below 20 miles per hour, though not necessarily.  Sometimes criticized by organizations supporting blind people because they rely on hard demarcations (though it may be possible to accommodate these needs).  Some existing streets that were not planned for shared space but have heavy pedestrian and/or bike traffic may effectively be shared space.

What do you think of it?  Have you seen examples of it in urban areas where or near where you are?

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There's been some discussion in my city. Speaking in general, it seems like pretty much the standard in city centers, at least in the cities that have historical ones.

A related issue is that circular junctions, I am told, are both safer and better for smooth traffic than the standard cross-shaped ones. 

• Oh God, here goes the roundabout debate.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I wash my hands, I know nothing of any roundabout debate.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-07-03 15:59:26

It's like Abortion Jr.  It happens regularly and we all feel like idiots afterward for letting it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I like roundabouts.  Like I like turtles.

• Not on your roads?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...crap, I did that wrong.