If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Science and Technology News and Whatnot

edited 2013-06-15 04:46:33 in Tech

Because I thought this might be a good thread to have. If nothing else, maybe this can be used as an article/link dump.

So, anyone heard of this "Project Loon" from Google? Basically, they're planning to use high-altitude balloons to increase internet coverage the world over, and provide connections to people living in areas without internet. Seems to be a real thing, and not a joke, despite the name. I don't really understand the logistics and whatnot of such a project, but it sounds interesting.

In unrelated news, fingernails have stem cells that may enable limb regeneration... or something.

By labelling groups of nail cells so that all the daughter cells they produced were blue, Ito, together with Makoto Takeo and others, showed that the nail base contains a small population of self-renewing stem cells, which sustain the nail’s continuous growth. This ongoing growth depends on signals carried by the Wnt family of proteins

Although the article also says this might not lead to actual limb regrowth for humans:

But Ashley Seifert, a regeneration biologist at the University of Kentucky in Lexington is not sure about the parallels. “Amphibians can regenerate a complete digit from any amputation level and they lack a nail organ altogether,” he says. He thinks it is possible that mammals “independently evolved the ability to regenerate digit tips through a mechanism dependent on the nail organ”.

Seifert also points out that if the entire nail is removed, activating the Wnt pathway in the remaining tissue does not stimulate any regeneration.

There's also a short video about that here. That it starts off by mentioning lizards kinda bugs me, mostly because I'm reminded of that Spider-man villain.

Comments