If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How to identify an anime art style character

edited 2013-05-09 16:40:17 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. hair color and hairstyle

2. eye color

3. decorative features

4. picture's description

I mean, without looking at the tags, can you tell me who this is?

What if I give you the hint that it's from

?

I first ran into this problem when I found what I thought was a cool piece of Samus fanart.  It's a blond-haired, ponytailed, green-eyed woman wearing a brown sweater, holding a cup of (what may be) coffee, and with Samus insignia earrings, smiling toward the hypothetical camera.  Someone remarked that that could be anyone.

Comments

• a little muffled

Well, this is just a function of anime-style art being relatively simplistic (at least as far as depictions of people go).

• edited 2013-05-10 00:20:56

Also, drawing style varies by artist, some people might draw more uh, generically. And some characters have generic looks anyway, if not for their costumes or dress sense.

• Blond hair? Her hair is green! How do you mistake that for blond!

• The last paragraph was referring to something else.

• Oh. My mistake, I didn't read closely enough.

• This is something I always wondered, what with all the generic anime characters out there. Sometimes, all the characters in a series can only be differentiated by hair, or how short their skirts are. But then again, I kinda dislike anime anyway, so psh.

And gosh, that linked picture creeps me right out.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Often I'm surprised at how well some anime-style characters are differentiated from one-another within some franchises. A good example is Fire Emblem, where each character has a unique, recognisable design when compared to the others. This is particularly noteworthy given that most of the character designs in that series are really simple, and revolve around a fairly limited palette per a character. 

On the other hand, yeah. Plenty of anime-style characters can be mistaken for others. That does speak highly of the skill some artists have, though, wherein they can apply simple design principles and elements and make characters visually distinct. I suppose some artists get caught up in their craft, though, and might forget the simple things; perhaps a good analogy is the virtuoso musician who plays exceedingly well, but gets so caught up in their technicality that they forget to produce something appropriate to be listened to rather than technically appreciated. 

• edited 2013-05-10 07:51:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ In case you're wondering, proper portrayal of the character in question: http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=507041

That first pic doesn't even have her hair color right.