If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Overuse of the Forgotten Realms

edited 2013-05-03 11:13:13 in Media
But you never had any to begin with.
Ok, I get that the Realms are the most popular setting in DnD, and I can understand that, seeing as it's essentially a generic fantasy land, which, obviously, lends itself well to a lot of plots.

However, the problem I have is that it's overexposed to the point of stagnation, and to the detriment of the other settings. Any DnD books are either the Realms or Dragonlance, and I can count the number of DnD CRPGs set outside the Realms that I know of on one hand.

It even gets to the point where the Realms are used for stories which have entire settings perfect for them. Gothic horror? Realms. Personal stories? Realms.

Hell, even Mystara would be better than the constant Realms stuff.

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

Eberron beats all of the mentioned settings, because wizard robots.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well...basically the problem is that WotC hasn't had any idea what it's doing with D&D in the last 8 years or so, and is just kind of fumbling around blindly at this point.
  • That's part of the problem (the development of 5e is just sad), but even when they have things more or less together they severely overuse it. I guess because it's such a generic setting.

Still, the underutilization of Spelljammer is a crime.

I haven't actually been following 5E. What's going on with that?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Weren't people complaining about the oversaturation of Eberron just a few years ago?

Eberron and Forgotten Realms are the two settings WotC generally acknowledges as existing, so it's kind of a problem for both of them.

also just now i read the title as "Outhouse of the Forgotten Realms."

you needed to know that

• "I haven't actually been following 5E. What's going on with that?"

They're trying to appeal to the people who liked 2E and earlier, which I think is a bad place to begin with (why wouldn't they just keep playing 2e?), but what they're drawing from it is "needlessly complicated mechanics" and "only spellcasters get good things". The whole thing's a mess.

:/

I guess they figure the people who liked 3.5 are playing Pathfinder or something?

They'd probably be right, but...:/

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I think the thing I liked least about 4e (keeping in mind that I rarely if ever actually play Dungeons & Dragons) is how they seemed to be hellbent on sucking a lot of the interesting lore out of the settings. Have you seen the 4e art for The Gibbering Mouther? It's just a ball of flesh and it's not scary at all (not that The Gibbering Mouther is exactly a paragon of terror as is, but at least the old art was interesting), it looks like something out of one of the Dead Space sequels.

Honestly, none of this surprises me, WoTC has their collective heads shoved so far up their asses that it's gone past "frustrating" into "depressing". Between this and trying to frantically silence anybody on their websites that criticizes company policy, I just sort of wonder why anyone bothers with them or their products anymore. 

Pathfinder is better than D&D at this point in pretty much every way, and while MtG is a fairly interesting game, it's also expensive as hell (moreso even than most TCGs) and people like myself just don't have the money, and the other projects they're behind just aren't interesting.

I apologize for the rant, I just find them annoying, as it were.

"only spellcasters get good things"

I never understood why more systems don't just make the melee characters also spellcasters. It completely eliminates the linear/quadratic problem and any justification for it. It's not like it's difficult to wrap one's head around the concept of different kinds of wizards, so I don't understand why more systems don't do it.

Of course there is that faction that just hates magic in such games in general, but fuck those guys.

why more systems don't just make the melee characters also spellcasters

because not everyone wants to be a wizard all the time

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Why can't they just put high-level fighters on the tier of, like, Hercules or something?

Alternatively, nerf spellcasters, cuz fuck them.
  • edited 2013-05-03 20:21:24
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I just don't understand why, if you're already in a fantasy setting, "these warriors are strong because of the magic they use" is such a difficult justification to make.

There always seemed to be some sort of hangup on a faux-realism when it comes to fighter classes. Like, "they can't do this because it's not something a person fighting in real life would do", but only on a very superficial level, and I feel like that sort of prevents people from implementing the same scaling that spellcasters have on fighting classes.

Why can't they just put high-level fighters on the tier of, like, Hercules or something?

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. There's an artificial barrier that steps in at some point and is just like "well we can't have them do that, they're just fighters, it would be unrealistic". 

• I'm sorry, do you people not read SA's Trad Games forum?

4th edition is the perfect edition. There is nothing better.

• edited 2013-05-03 20:50:11
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

From what I've seen of it, 4E is an excellent miniatures game.

I just don't understand why, if you're already in a fantasy setting, "these warriors are strong because of the magic they use" is such a difficult justification to make.

Because it makes magic a lot more common, which would be weird in a lot of settings, when you could just as easily say "they're just that good."

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

There always seemed to be some sort of hangup on a faux-realism when it comes to fighter classes. Like, "they can't do this because it's not something a person fighting in real life would do", but only on a very superficial level, and I feel like that sort of prevents people from implementing the same scaling that spellcasters have on fighting classes.

Skilled real-life fighters, of course, have methods far more efficient than those found in D&D.

/predictabo ect

• edited 2013-05-04 12:33:07
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

As far as I know Earthdawn is the RPG where non-spellcaster characters use magic to bolster their skills. You know, troll sky pirates doing anime-ish leaps from one ship to another during boarding actions.

edit: or an RPG. I guess it'd work better this way. Damn grammar.