If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Internet fucking Explorer

BeeBee
edited 2013-04-25 00:09:44 in Tech

Fucking slow-ass browser leaks memory like a sieve full of wormholes to Leaksville, locks up for half a minute for goddamn near anything, and lags just to scroll down a fucking page.

And yet it's the only browser that can run some websites because people are too lazy to test shit in Firefox.  FUCK.

mod edit: moved to Tech category.

Comments

• Wboa, man. Leave Internet Explorer alone.
  • A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Bee, have you tried using the IE Tab extension for Firefox?

• You can change. You can.

Try user-switch agent.

• a little muffled
    Whoa, did I travel five years back in time?
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Why does this describe my Firefox experience?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

if you're not using Opera you're using the wrong browser

/fax

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I use IE, Firefox, and Opera.  Often at the same time.  What does that say about me?

it says you hate your computer

• I might have used Opera, but neither of my colleges' websites supported it.

Opera is sadly undersupported. I have Firefox as a backup, but if anything uses only IE I figure it's not much worth going to anyway.

You're like a game designer or something though, right? You'd think people you'd work with of all possible demographics would know better.

I also feel the need to point out that there absolutely are browsers worse than IE (Netscape Navigator, MSN, Maxthon, and possibly Lunascape come to mind), but IE is weirdly widespread for something so bad on every level.

Does Netscape even exist anymore these days?

• Thankfully my programming circles know better, yes.  But you'll still see administrative websites that suck.

Does Netscape even exist anymore these days?

Not sure.

I found out a few weeks ago, much to my surprise, that AOL still does. Nick Reineke of Indie Impressions uses it as his backup browser (I mention this because that is how I found out, the "You've got mail" thing went off during a livestream).

I wonder what browser engine AOL uses.

Also, I've actually lately seen a few Firefox-only websites, more than IE-only websites, in the past year or so.

• but IE is weirdly widespread for something so bad on every level

This is pure speculation on my part, but could it have something to do with being the default browser for Microsoft computers?

Is it literally impossible for anyone on here to make a point without snarking? Seriously, lapse in judgment, my bad.

Sheesh.

• edited 2013-04-25 06:31:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, it is literally impossible.  In fact, the following statement is true.  But the preceding statement is false.

Seriously, though, yeah I think we could use a little less snark.  Though the thing about IE being the default browser that's shipped with Windows OSes is a bit obvious.

• Is it literally impossible for anyone on here to make a point without snarking? Seriously, lapse in judgment, my bad.

Sheesh.

I wasn't snarking =/

• edited 2013-04-25 07:07:40
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

could it have something to do with being the default browser for Microsoft computers?

Fun fact: The European Commission took legal action against Microsoft in 2009 to reduce the company's stranglehold on the browser market and as a result, this was created and is now displayed whenever you activate a copy of Windows 7 within the EEA or Switzerland.

>RockMelt

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

> /me is using chrome

I feel too mainstream for this forum sometimes.

But seriously, I only use Chrome. Great add-on library, and if you're worried about privacy, there are several different options and apps that let you disable any sort of data collection from your browser. 

• You can change. You can.

Puhretty much.

Ghostery is a god-send, really.

• a little muffled

You know what really bothers me about IE? The name. It's probably the biggest reason why nobody can tell the difference between the internet and the web.

• edited 2013-04-25 15:57:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I thought the internet IS the web.

Unless you take HTTP to be the web and just one of several protocols on the internet.

...hey, is this K-Meleon thing any good?  If so, is it easy to use at all?

• edited 2013-04-25 15:59:26
    a little muffled

Unless you take HTTP to be the web and just one of several protocols on the internet.
    Yes, that. Email, Usenet, FTP, IRC, etc. are not the web.

...I'm not sure whether to be happy that I guessed that correctly or sad that I never thought about that difference until now (though it makes sense).

Also, what about Avant and Lunascape?  Are they any good?

• The web is specifically the collection of hypertext documents that are accessed through the internet.  The distinction between the web and the internet is also the reason why web addresses traditionally start with "www.": to distinguish a subdomain where web pages are hosted from other kinds of content that might be located on the same domain.

• edited 2013-04-25 17:23:17
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Lunascape would be great if it didn't have a bunch of bizarre keyboard shortcuts I don't know how to disable.

For instance, for a long time trying to type a capital P would make the thing try to print.

I believe the browser is of Asian origin, which explains its less than ideal optimization for western keyboards, I suppose.

Maxthon is basically a reskinned IE, RockMelt is a joke, and I've never used any of the others on there that you don't know already.

Wikipedia says Lunascape is Japanese and Avant is Chinese, and both share the distinctive feature of being able to pretend to be IE, Firefox, or Opera.  Or something like that.