If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who justify sick shit as art

edited 2013-04-18 14:45:07 in Meatspace
No rainbow star
This just happened a bit ago

A student apparently got professor approval to SACRIFICE A LIVE FUCKING CHICKEN AS ART THEN SKIN IT ON THE SPOT!

I saw the skinned bird carried away. It was so surreal I thought it was a performance piece with symbolism (I missed the sacrifice so I assumed store bought dead bird)

I left due to this, missing the brawl

Police are currently up there, hopefully arresting the fucker

Some fellow students are saying it's no big deal and that it's art

IT'S NOT FUCKING ART ITS FUCKING SICK!

Comments

• I don't think that something is not art just because it's unethical.  Though certainly it does mean he shouldn't have been allowed to do it, art or not.  Art isn't really a justification for doing bad things.

• edited 2013-04-18 14:59:03
    Diet NEET

Did the chicken suffer more than if it would be slaughtered for food(as in, was it a clean kill)?

Was there a fair warning given so that people could vacate the premises if it wasn't their cup of tea?

(Also, this shit happens daily in the bio-industry with only a small segment of society batting an eyelash at it. When a single chicken is taken out of said context and has the same thing happen to it as it would suffer in a meat mill, there's a riot. That provocation alone would make it art, imho, as it goes beyond edgy for edginess' sake).

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Which one of us was the artist, 'cause I forgot? I'm curious what the artistic community thinks of that kind of show.

• No rainbow star
    ^ I'm the artist

^^ I understand, but he did it without a choppibg block, slashing the throat of the chicken, with barely any warning
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Makes me think of that story about a woman who got pregnant multiple times and painted a picture with abortion by-products, I'm told this one actually didn't happen. And there was a story about a guy who instead of paint used his own shit (he ate spinach, beet, and so on to get the right colour).

And just for the record, it's not that he killed a chicken, it's that he killed a chicken and claimed it's art.

• edited 2013-04-18 15:36:14

I'm confused. How is this any different than chickens getting killed normally, besides somebody claiming it as art?

• No rainbow star
    ^ Done without warning, spread blood all over the cafeteria (you know, where people eat) on purpose, sliced the throat which means the chicken potentially suffered...
  • Welp, then he can't complain about any of the volatile reactions he provoked, seeing as he obviously wanted as big a stir as possible.

• edited 2013-04-18 15:56:04

^^ I remember something about throat-slicing being a faster and more efficient (thus, less painful...?) method than bolt guns, but I heard that on the TV Tropes forums, and Google mostly gives me results that are "animals feel less pain if they're already unconscious before being killed". Is that the comparison here?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Does this mean successful troll was successful?

By the way, did they arrest him?

• No rainbow star
    Not sure if they arrested him or not, although I think they did since the guy isn't around currently
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    ¿Que es el arte? El arte es morirte de frío.
  • No rainbow star
    Fuck, nope, he got off scott free

Well then, anybody know any chapters of anonymous who like chickens?

"not even modern art justifies 5'ing slitting chickens"?

How about informing some crazy bunch like the radical environmentalists?

• No rainbow star
    I have thought of telling PETA and see if maybe they can put that insanity to good use
  • edited 2013-04-18 16:10:21

^^^ "5'ing"?

^^ What about groups like ALF or PETA?

^ninja

• edited 2013-04-18 16:11:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ That would just be trying to trollprofit off of another trolling, basically.  Kinda like this.

^ Have you heard of NEDM?  also known as "not even DOOM music justifies 5'ing burning kittens"?

• But you never had any to begin with.

"I remember something about throat-slicing being a faster and more efficient (thus, less painful...?) method than bolt guns"

Generally, in a non factory environment, chickens are killed by decapitation, either by hand or blade. Their necks are very fragile.

• Which one of us was the artist, 'cause I forgot? I'm curious what the artistic community thinks of that kind of show.

Yo

I dunno, after seeing what McDonald's does to chickens, and having to break a few chicken necks while living abroad, a guy slitting a chicken's throat seems way more tame by comparison. 

And yeah, I'm guessing he's gonna go for the "your reaction is part of the art" angle. Or maybe he's trying to highlight how something that's an everyday occurance for farmers and hunters can ellicit such a strong emotional response in other people?  Oh, or maybe he's a psycho that wanted to kill something in front of all his peers? Or make a statement about how context can radically change a person's reaction to something?

I dunno, I kinda wish I were there. :(

• Have you heard of NEDM?  also known as "not even DOOM music justifies 5'ing burning kittens"?

I don't think I have. Is "5'ing" just some bizarre way to write "fucking"?

I dunno, after seeing what McDonald's does to chickens, and having to break a few chicken necks while living abroad, a guy slitting a chicken's throat seems way more tame by comparison.

Hmm, that's an interesting context to bring up. So, this isn't really all that "brutal" compared to how livestock is normally killed, then?

@Saigyouji oh, ok.

• edited 2013-04-18 17:44:37

Hmm, that's an interesting context to bring up. So, this isn't really all that "brutal" compared to how livestock is normally killed, then?

Well, not really. But how they're killed tends to vary wildly depending on who's handling the slaughtering. For instance, fur companies have been known to execute rabbits by stunning them with electricity, slitting their throats very superficially, and leaving them to bleed to death impaled on a meat hook as they twich.

And McDonald's has got this  kind of thing going on all day, every day. (Oh, I should warn you guys that that link brings you to a video with graphic depiction of chickens being mutilated and tortured by McDonald's egg suplier)

But on the other hand, you'll often find some slaughterhouses are insistent on humane deaths, and won't torture an animal in the slightest, unlike the other examples mentioned above.

Anyway, yeah, I'd argue that might not have been so bad, but I wasn't there to see. :(

• The bolt gun thing is mainly larger livestock.  The problem with it isn't the bolt gun itself, so much as the obscene meteoric factory pace the workers go at, which often results in ill-placed shots.  The last source I read on it (yay agriculture college) was that something like 1/3 of pigs are not only alive, but still conscious when the hooks are stuck in.

Which makes people bitching about halal preparation profoundly hypocritical, since an animal with a slit throat will typically lose consciousness in a few heartbeats due to sudden drop of blood pressure.

As for "art", the kid who cut open a chicken probably isn't doing anything any more inhumane than a normal slaughter, by sheer virtue of the standards being that damned low.  It is, however, dangerously unsanitary to do it in a cafeteria and he should probably be fined for it.

@Naas_H_Sapiens:

There's a site called YTMND.com that was a pretty big source of memes some years ago.  It's still around; all it does is let people put zooming text (optionally), a background image (which may be animated), and some music, together on one webpage; such a page is called a "ytmnd".  This led to various memes such as "Epic Maneuver", "lol, internet", and others, and also helped to popularize the "Picard Song".

Unrelated to this site, there was once this one guy who doused kittens with gasoline and lit them on fire.  He videotaped the incident and posted it on the web (on Fark or SomethingAwful, I think).  Not surprisingly, he faced a massive backlash, and the users on the site soon figured out who he was in real life and reported him to his local authorities.

That would have been the end of it, except someone took the footage and uploaded it (as an animated image) to YTMND, setting it to music from the game Doom.  Not surprisingly, that ytmnd also got a ton of pushback, and was soon taken down, not to mention getting a ton of one-star ratings (out of five).

However, there were some YTMND users who, when the video was still up, had rated the video five stars, sometimes commenting that the presence of Doom music made it worth it, or something.  (Your record of rating others' ytmnds is public within the YTMND community.)

One YTMND user, TitaniumGecko, decided to go on a crusade against these users as well.  He went and 1-star'd all of their ytmnds.

Finally, one of these users asked TitaniumGecko why TG 1-star'd their vid.  TG responded:

not even Doom music justifies 5'ing burning kittens

Other users noticed this in the midst of the site drama, found it epic (or amusing), and a new meme was born: "NEDM".  This meme usually features a picture of a firefighter holding a cat he has saved, and is set to the music track "We Interrupt This Programme".  (Later, a running gag about chapstick would be added to this meme, for reasons I haven't yet discovered.)