If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Tying important things in the game to hardware limitations

edited 2013-04-17 09:13:10 in Media

This is really, really, annoying for when you want to emulate or play HD versions of games. Apparently there's a puzzle in one of the Space Quest games that is now impossible on modern computers due to processing speeds, and in the HD remake of Shadow of the Colossus, faster frame rate totally fucked up the AI on each colossus and made some impossible on harder difficulties without exploits.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    If they absolutely have to tie it to hardware limitations, then they could at LEAST put a hard limit on it
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    So you're asking designers to design for emulators and future systems that don't exist yet?
  • Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    I mean I get that the stuff you are running into is annoying, but I can't really think of an easy way for designers to avoid this stuff.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ By not, say, making a puzzle get harder the faster a computer runs?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^If they're designing for one specific device, that isn't going to cause problems, though. If it then gets ported without correcting for that, that isn't the original designer's fault.
  • If it is for the PC then yes, they should not tie things like physics, game logic and AI to the fps. 

• edited 2013-04-17 13:02:20
    a little muffled

@ClockworkUniverse: The thing is a lot of these hacks aren't really necessary or better even if you're guaranteed to only ever be used on one type of hardware. Like that 7th Guest puzzle that is impossibly hard on modern processors because the game decided to allocate a certain amount of wall time for the AI to build a search tree instead of just setting a maximum depth. Why would you even do that?

• But you never had any to begin with.
    SotC HD only has a higher framerate by virtue of having a consistent one. It's 30 FPS, and just doesn't suffer from the drops of the PS2 version.