If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Premium cable and academics

edited 2013-04-06 19:55:22 in General

It appears to be the primary form of media consumption by academics I follow on twitter and I don't know why.

Comments

• edited 2013-04-06 19:57:23
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Not Internet? Weird. Or do you by cable mean the 'Net?

• I mean like HBO and Showtime stuff.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

"academics" he says.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    From what you've said about them they don't really like most forms of media beyond literature.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I haven't had cable since I was really little and I'm perfectly okay with this.

Well I've kinda benefitted from my dorm having cable and getting to watch large amounts of Law & Order that way but other than that I consider cable to be an unnecessary thing.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

With internet access, coupled with a Netflix account, cable is effectively obsolete for me.

• Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country yet.

#developingworldproblems

• edited 2013-04-07 04:21:05
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Huh. All this time, I thought you were British.

Anyways, what about UnoDNS? I've considered using that to gain Netflix access...
  • ^ Wait, how come?

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    I dunno why, I guess my mind just formed that possibility one day and stuck with it.

Doesn't make much sense to me now that I think about it. Going from what little I know about you, it seems much more likely to me that you're...Malaysian, I guess?

• With internet access, coupled with a Netflix account, cable is effectively obsolete for me.

Well, most premium cable series (which constitute, coincidentally, most of the series worth watching) are not in netflix, or at least not for a long while.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> most of the series worth watching

> implying there's anything worth watching, at least in the U.S., that's not the PBS News Hour

...I'm in the minority with this opinion, aren't I.

• Yes, you're also wrong.

• edited 2013-04-07 13:19:54
    You can change. You can.
    Blah blah blah reruns of the wire are more educational than a million years of US public television blah blah blah

Although I guess netflix does have that, so
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

reruns of the wire

Although I guess netflix does have that

Depends on which Netflix you're talking about. You can rent the DVDs, but can't stream.

• You can change. You can.
    I'd say it counts
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Not necessarily. They're separate services, and I only have streaming because I tend to watch stuff more on a whim.

Well, I mean, you still can get it off netflix rather than paying a suscription to the eitch bee oh.
  • Well, yes, but you could also rent the DVDs without Netflix. Alternatively, with an HBO subscription, you could also watch it online.

Err, my point is simply that the wire doesn't fall under the group of TV shows you mentioned which are much more accessible by having a cable suscription (E.G: GoT, Mad Men) and much less accessible via means like Netflix or other rental services (mostly so you have more of an incentive to get the hbo suscription)