If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I'm sorry, but B minor does NOT go with G# minor.

edited 2013-04-04 23:40:30 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, I'm sorry, it doesn't work.

Quick explanation for those who don't get it:

Gangnam Style is in B minor.  Among its notes are B, D, and F#.

Judgelight is in G# minor.  Among its notes are G#, B, and D#.

The D# and D (i.e. D natural) do not go together well at all.

PSY raps/speaks much of the song, but when you get to the pre-refrain of his song, which is the refrain of Judgelight, at about 1:10, you can hear the mismatch.

Comments

• "It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!!"

Dissonance =/= "do not go well together"

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

True facts, but on the other hand, dissonance has to be carefully handled. Using something like D and D# together, and doing it well, it probably one of the more difficult things to master in composition because the dissonance is so extreme. Apart from the diminished fifth (augmented fourths are figments of the imagination :B), I suppose, but blues, jazz and metal musicians have spent so many decades mastering the use of the diminished fifth that it's pretty easy to learn how to do. 

The issue is a bit more severe when it comes to remixes and mashups, because music theory training isn't as critical to the process as it is with original compositions and playing an instrument. Anyone can download mixing software and mash up whatever pieces of music they have on their hard drive. So where a composer or a performer might use dissonance very deliberately, I think it's more likely to come out as a mistake in the case of amateur remixes and mashups, where the artist is going by gut without understanding the divisions of intervals, keys and whatnot. 

Of course, there are obviously mixing and mashup-ers that have a firm understanding of music theory, but the comparatively low barrier to entry means that many will not. 

• "It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!!"

The devil's interval you mean Alex? However the idea that a minor 2nd is a dissonant interval is a western cultural concept, other music cultures don't view it that way. However the absence of a knowledge of musical theory is a serious deficit to composing/creating and performing music and many people don't realise it is quite important to learning to become a musician (hate to use this word to describe mix-ups and whatever artists but I can't see a way around it).

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The Devil's Interval indeed. Interesting note about the flat second, too; thanks for sharing. Point is, though, that semitone intervals are generally going to be highly dissonant when played together, and it takes fair skill to pull that kind of harmony off both well and consistently. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The problem is not the dissonance, actually.

The problem is that Gangnam Style suggests one "flavor" (the key of B minor) while Judgelight suggests a competing and incompatible flavor (the key of G# minor).

Kinda like adding garlic salt to strawberries.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-05 04:32:17

Yeah it'd be one thing if it was just the two notes being played in a context that used them properly, but...I mean, that's two entire sets of stacked chords and harmony designed for completely different moods.  You can't just jam together entire chords and expect them to work.