If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Is XKCD the Farside of the internet generation?

edited 2013-04-03 19:20:36 in General

Well?

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

What is Farside?

Also: nah, a spring.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think you mean "The Far Side".

^ It's a comic series by Gary Larson.  Each comic is one single panel containing a scene where something is out-of-the-ordinary, and there is frequently a one-liner of text below the panel, representing the thought or speech of a character.

These comics frequently contain somewhat-witty, but not laugh-out-loud, humor.

• edited 2013-04-03 20:04:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    No, The Far Side is much, much better.
  • To be very honest, The Far Side has a far larger laugh rate per strip than XKCD, where you absolutely must have prior knowledge of or work in a specific field to "get" a particular joke.

• Far Side was just plain surrealism.  XKCD is surrealism as projected onto very technical fields not everyone will have the necessary experience in to get the joke.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Some of the jokes in The Far Side were pretty esoteric, particularly given that the strip came into its own at a time when the Internet really wasn't a thing. Larson loved to reference relatively obscure information about zoology and anthropology, for example, given the jokes a kind of double-edged humour that not everyone was going to get.

That said, XKCD is a fairly different strip from The Far Side in many respects. The Perry Bible Fellowship might be a closer comparison, despite using a strip format rather than a single panel gag most of the time, but even then the parallels are imperfect.

PBF is more about disturbing ways of thinking of things, which xkcd isn't about.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I was comparing The Perry Bible Fellowship to The Far Side rather than XKCD. Munroe and Larson may share geekiness in common, but the sheer perversity of Gurewitch's imagination is in sympathy with Larson's sense of humour in a way that Munroe's snarkiness generally is not.

• edited 2013-04-04 00:14:23
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The big difference between The Far Side and XKCD is that the former is a humor comic, while the latter is a whatever-Munroe-feels-like-doodling comic that kind of strains itself to pretend to be a humor comic.

Take today's strip. It presents an interesting fact. Then it shoehorns in what I think is supposed to be a joke, but really isn't all that funny. The interesting fact is the good part of the strip.

Really, I think Munroe is at his best when he's doing something more long-form and just putting in jokes where good ones naturally arise, as he does in the "what if" column he's been doing lately, which is solid gold.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Well, in that comic there really isn't a joke per se, just a mildly funny little throwaway line to underline the point. But you are correct, XKCD is at its best (and often funniest) when it's not trying to be funny.

Well I think it's more like this:

PBF tries to be bizarre, disturbing, and make odd observations.

xkcd tries to be witty, funny, and make odd observations.

The Far Side tries to be bizarre, witty, and occasionally funny.

I think TFS is closer to xkcd because of this.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

They're incredibly dissimilar in almost every way, so no.

Also, while xkcd is certainly a decent webcomic (even if its creator is kind of a dick), The Far Side is one of the best comics of any type ever, so putting them head to head is just unfair to xkcd

Some of the jokes in The Far Side were pretty esoteric, particularly given that the strip came into its own at a time when the Internet really wasn't a thing. Larson loved to reference relatively obscure information about zoology and anthropology, for example, given the jokes a kind of double-edged humour that not everyone was going to get.

the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

• No rainbow star
    How is the creator of xkcd a dick?

Perhaps "dick" is the wrong word, but he has some odd ideas about things. 

• A lot of webcomic creators have opinions that are all over the place. It's just something that happens.

> A lot of webcomic creators have opinions that are all over the place. It's just something that happens.

A lot of people have opinions that are all over the place. It's just that some of them happen to be webcomic creators.

• Did that even need to be said?

• To be honest yes, because I believe people can forget that anyone can and will have absurd opinions regardless of their profession.

• If you say so.

I don't know what crazy arcana you guys are subscribing to, but leave me out of it!

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-04 22:13:57

It's a good rule of thumb that anyone you meet will have at least one opinion you find stupid, hypocritical, and/or terrifying.  If they don't, congratulations!  You're talking to a potato.

• Freaking potatoes. They have AGENDAS, you know! That's why they're so delicious.

They are seeking the troof.

It's a good rule of thumb that anyone you meet will have at least one opinion you find stupid, hypocritical, and/or terrifying. If they don't, congratulations! You're talking to a potato.

I really think I should be allowed to find people irritating without getting this thrown at me every time I say such.

They are seeking the troof.

That game was such a waste of money. 

I got it in a bundle.