If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Adobe and its seeming monopoly on image editing software

edited 2013-03-31 23:04:05 in Meatspace
No rainbow star

No company that would use image editing would take you seriously if you use free stuff

Adobe is the only "professional" one out there, with that stupid price tag

And of course everybody talks about it

;~; Currently I just want some decent video editing software for my project. Not another money pit ;~;

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

...There are plenty of non-Adobe video editing programs.

• No rainbow star

^ I'm trying to find a decent one currently. Still leaves the issue on it's seeming monopoly on image editing software

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-01 00:35:20

GIMP is basically Photoshop minus the perspective projector, and the cage transform can do pretty much the same thing.  The functional differences at this point are pretty much nil now that they've properly implemented layer grouping.  Though yeah, employers will still laugh at you for not having Photoshop instead.

• No rainbow star

Which is absolutely insane. Adobe KNOWS it can get away with that insane price tag just because nobody can use their competitors and be taken seriously

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-01 04:38:34

The worst part is that Adobe isn't even that good.  I mean Photoshop at least earns its reputation and was definitively superior to open source competition until not too long ago, but their other software is crap.  InCopy is a buggy disaster (especially for as relatively little as it's actually supposed to do), AIR obstructs your access to some very important Flash overhead, and Flash itself is computationally bloated shit for anything that isn't prerendered animation.

• a little muffled

People actually pay for Photoshop?

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

and Flash itself is computationally bloated shit for anything that isn't prerendered animation

Well, one could argue that it's been like that ever since Macromedia days, but yeah, Adobe's had ¾ of a decade to properly streamline it and they still haven't done so.

• edited 2013-04-01 04:59:59
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And this, boys and girls, is what the free-for-all market does.  Someone squats the intellectual property, then proceeds to not really do much as long as they can carve out a niche without much competition.

Profit-maximizing markets do not by themselves drive innovation.  They can frequently be counterproductive.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-01 05:01:03

^^ AIR actually makes it even worse.  This for instance is a collection of Flash games from like 2006-2008, and was ported to Steam using AIR.  It's completely unplayable because the environment introduced a tremendous amount of overhead and input bottlenecking issues that weren't present in the original browser apps, and blocked the developers' access to optimizing steps or even stage quality.

• No rainbow star
    Adobe really needs to experience a crash
  • edited 2013-04-01 11:39:05
    Kichigai birthday!!

i luvs photshop :DD I made my sig on it ^___^

-

• No rainbow star
    I will kill you and all you hold dear
  • But you never had any to begin with.

Why do you hate deer so much?

• No rainbow star
    No, dear, not deer

Deer are awesome

Especially queer deer
  • Deer are tasty, I hear.

• No rainbow star
    It's the jazzercise
  • I am God, and all other gods are my imagery. I gave birth to myself. I am millions of forms excreating; eternal; and nothing exists except through me; yet I am not them - they serve me.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

deer goulash best meal of my life. take a bite of dead deer.