If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My illogical set of philosophical beliefs.

edited 2011-03-29 17:01:29 in Philosophy
[tɕagɛn]

There are a lot of things people on TvTropes know me for, but one is that I have some very odd beliefs, or more that I posess a very odd set of beliefs. I've been thinking about this, and I realize that they are right. I make no logical sense from a outsider's view.

Just look at what I can say I believe:

Rationalism/Skepticism: I believe that logic and rational reason are the best ways to solve problems--that is, I think it's better to sit down and think about the best solution, wieghing the possible ones against the consequences, and reviewing them to see what is the best and most logical way of getting the problem solved. And I also believe that you should question things and never take them straight at face value. However, As You Know, I very rarely act in a logical fashion. I believe this, yet I act completely differently from what I supposedly believe.

Romanticism/Idealism: I have a tendency to romanticize or idealize things. It's why I love Shonen manga so much. And this could be seen in anythign I write, which almost always is infused with a dose of small optimism. Except...these two ideals go completely against Rationalism. They are complete opposites. How exactly can I believe all three?

Religion: As You Know, I am a Christian. And As You Know, Rationalism and Skepticism generally lead to Atheism. I am actually aware that the idea of a God makes no rational or logical sense--I've debated the matter and found it to be completely nonsensical. Yet I do believe one exists. I've justified it as an exception, but it seems that in the case of philosophy, whatever you believe in has to define you completely.

And in the other hand, I get very few of anything from religion. Almost all of my morals, for example, come from atheistic/secular ideas (Such as why discrimination is wrong; I don't believe that because God said so, I believe it because if a person is discriminated against, they cannot work to their full potential, either from flat-out being denied work or psychological pressure. As such, they cannot contribute to society and the economy as much as they possibly can, dragging things down. In addition, a person being discriminated against has their happiness lowered and the happiness of the group they belong to lowered as well [because they could get worried that they would be discriminated against as well], and I believe that society should ensure that its members are as happy as is reasonably possible [I'm an Ethical Hedonist]. And that discriminating against a harmless and immutable characteristic of something is wrong, as well.)

These are just a partial few of the things I believe...do you see what I mean? I'm a very odd person (perhaps not in the good way). It's starting to really bug me...

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    You are different. Everyone is different. Everyone is a special butterfly.
  • "I believe that logic and rational reason are the best ways to solve problems"

"I have a tendency to romanticize or idealize things."

"I am a Christian... I've debated the matter and found it to be completely nonsensical. Yet I do believe one exists."

Chagen, none of these are "weird" or all that illogical. Is this a joke? Did you only mention your relatively normal beliefs and omit the outrageous ones on purpose? What's the point of this thread?
  • Guys, don't be a jerk to Chagen.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-03-29 18:15:39
    Yes, because being genuinely confused counts as being a jerk. How rude of me. Sorry for not understanding the point behind this thread.
    I am practicing my aloof indifferent dick gambit.
  • We already have more than enough aloof indifferent dicks, Vorpy.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay more than enough.
    If you can't ignore them, assimilate into one of them.
  • And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why TVTropes is such a shithole.
    What happens to TVT when Fast Eddie dies? He's old, right? Who takes over after him? Madrugada?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-03-29 18:31:17
    There might be a vote or something. In that case, it'd probably be Ironeye or Bobby.
  • edited 2011-03-29 19:20:35
    Pony Sleuth
    "We already have more than enough aloof indifferent dicks, Vorpy.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay more than enough."

Yeah, I'm the only one we need, anyway.

Seriously though, I've probably been too rude to Chagen before. I don't have any huge objections to what he's posted here, it just riles me when he has a strong opinion about something he doesn't know much about.

You? A dick? you wish.
  • IJBM: Dicks.

IJBMEM: People pretending to be dicks to look cool.

IJBMMTFA: Human beings.
  • Bob, it's how these things don't make sense put together. Idealism and Theism are antitheitical to Rationalism and Skeptcism.
  • edited 2011-03-29 19:28:52
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Stop trying to be important chagen and do your fucking homework.

You still have to do good in school you know.
  • Jesus woman, I was gonna start it in a few minutes.

Why do you care? You're not my mother or Onee-Sama.
  • >Onee-Sama

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/55/GET_EXPLOITABLE.png" alt="File:GET EXPLOITABLE.png">
  • I think I used to call Vorpy that. Or was it Waltzy....
    It was Waltzy. I refuse to acknowledge that terminology anymore.
  • Whatever, Oh knee sam aaahh.
  • So if I say I'm a dick, it can't be self-deprecation and it's just me trying to be cool now? Pfft.

Anyway, being rational doesn't preclude having a positive outlook on things or having ideals you want to pursue.

For example, you can have 40 dollars in your wallet. It's not irrational to think that 40 dollars is a lot, or a little. It's just irrational to believe you have exactly 25 dollars in your wallet. It's not irrational to decide to donate it to charity or to spend it on yourself, but it is irrational to think that you can buy a helicopter with it.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-03-29 19:41:27
    Please, when I was a child I bought a helicopter with far less than 40 dollars. It was cute and tiny and plastic.

"So if I say I'm a dick, it can't be self-deprecation and it's just me trying to be cool now? Pfft."

For that to work, you would have to actually be a dick instead of just slightly snarky or unpleasant at times.

^Who?
  • His greatest hits include "Baka Obama bowing to the President of Japan" and "I think smoking is way cool".
  • And this is different from the majority of tropers how? Yikes.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    "Why do you care? You're not my mother or Onee-Sama."

I think if said the Chinese version of "elder sister", you might sound less of a clod.
  • Anyway, being rational doesn't preclude having a positive outlook on things or having ideals you want to pursue.

I think this might be my main problem. I tend to view philosophy as a restrictive idea--i.e: If you are a rationalist, you must abondon any type of ideals and believe on in rational thought and abandon emotion and etc....
  • Really? I thought that was the TL;DR version of Stoicism.
  • People don't have the time, knowledge, and intelligence needed to find the solution to every problem by thinking it out. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Stuff like emotion and intuition can be very useful, the trick is to not rely on it too much. Obviously, you shouldn't believe in something that violates logic just because it feels right.