If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

9gag (NSFW)

edited 2013-03-15 16:38:37 in Webspace
Definitely not gay.

9gag is an unfunny meme site.

...so?

What makes 9gag so special? Why does it draw so much ire towards itself? It's unfunny, so what? From what I've seen of it it's a lot like other unfunny meme sites, like funnyjunk or memecenter. Why is it so unique in the sheer amount of hate it directs towards itself?

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

apparently people who actually use and like 9gag take it super seriously or something, and apparently claim they invented memes they didn't.

this offends the sensibilities of your average /b/tard, and is therefore an internet crime.

• edited 2013-03-15 05:08:42
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Yeah. From what I've seen, a lot of the hate directed at 9gag stems from their "war" against 4chan and the fact that most of the remaining Internet pretty much has 4chan pegged as the lesser of two evils in this fight.

• "It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!!"

^Or simply don't care?

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

That too.

• Anyone who falls for this shit needs their head examined:

9gag is the new Ebaumsworld: in its day, Ebaumsworld wasn't the only watermarking content aggragator shithole, but it was most prominent one. Same with 9gag: simply the biggest target, especially since it's popular with the FB crowd. Eternal Septemberites and bitching shitposters of the gb2reddit variety are simply cancers that feed off of each other.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Eh, they may not be the only ones, but they are in fact the biggest one, so why not go after them? I don't have any stake in this, but if I had, this would make sense to me. From all I've heard, 9gag deserves all the hate it gets, just as Ebaumsworld had.

• There's also the fact that it has a habit of stealing content from other sites and claiming it as their own, which only adds fuel to the fire.

• Definitely not gay.

^ funnyjunk does that too.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    ^^ I'm pretty sure that's covered by the Ebaumsworld comparisons.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Funnyjunk also gets it's share of hatred
  • edited 2013-03-15 16:38:29
    Diet NEET
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

all I'm really getting out of this is "4chan superior, others inferior".

also that is a needlessly graphic...er..graphic.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-15 16:24:34

The only thing I really hate about funnyjunk is blocking images that come up off google image search.  It doesn't even show up right on their own damned site, much less being obnoxious to everyone else.  Other than that, they tend to stay in their circle and can be ignored easily; 9gag...doesn't.

• edited 2013-03-15 16:40:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Switched that image to a link because...yeah.

Other than that, they tend to stay in their circle and can be ignored easily

Wasn't there a big deal about them suing The Oatmeal for saying their site had a bunch of stolen IP on it?

Though admittedly, from what I understand, they backed down on that pretty quickly, after which their lawyer kept going because he was insane.

• The unintended joke is that all memes were shit to start with.

• edited 2013-03-15 17:30:36
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

And 4chan is known to be the original source of most memes, so that's why they're on top of the chain.

I don't get what's so graphic or NSFW about the image, though. I've seen more "graphic" stuff in daily paper political cartoons, for Christ's sake.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

True, but a bunch of people were grossed out by it and NSFW was the first label that jumped to mind.

• If it's not an image you can show in a public area, it's not safe for work. Simple as that.

• a little muffled

but work isn't a public area

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

In the US, you couldn't show that in a public area. The US is really over-excitable about stuff.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Oh, speaking of which, I think that this simply deserves to be shown - a so very real election campaign billboard in Montenegro (NSFW, obviously).

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

^^^Well, fwiw, I'd much, much rather see a such a nice, fit body then people shitting on each other's plates, so your argument may not hold up entirely here :p

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

It's very simple, Ironweaver: Americans are afraid of naked people.

Clearly, I am entitled to speak for all Americans here...