If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Citation formatting

edited 2013-03-04 07:58:39 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

(filing this under Media; tell me if it doesn't fit.)

I'm being asked to cite using this formatting.

Smith, R. 2005. A discussion about citation formatting. The Journal of Bitching About Things 86(4):20-25.
Smith, R., and J.Jones. 2005. A discussion about citation formatting. The Journal of Bitching About Things 86(4):20-25.
Smith, R., J.Jones, P.I.Toadofsky. 2005. A discussion about citation formatting. The Journal of Bitching About Things 86(4):20-25.

Why not cite like this?

Smith R (2005) "A Discussion About Citation Formatting" The Journal of Bitching About Things 86(4):20-25
Smith R, Jones J (2005) "A Discussion About Citation Formatting" The Journal of Bitching About Things 86(4):20-25
Smith R, Jones J, Toadofsky PI (2005) "A Discussion About Citation Formatting" The Journal of Bitching About Things 86(4):20-25

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Use Harvard referencing. Bam, done.

For reference, that's this:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You usually don't talk about editions and place of publication for peer-reviewed journals.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Then drop them. Pretty simple.

• If only it were that easy. Why do all different types of articles need their own citation methods, I will never know.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-04 14:22:29

Because different types of articles have different relevant publication information.  For instance, for a journal you need to provide the volume and issue of the relevant article, whereas citing a textbook needs which edition it was in case corrections have been made since.

As for what format, I've been asked to cite things with an unofficial format before, mostly in generic weed-out classes that are looking for basic comprehension of the syllabus.  One time I got to argue with TA about points he took off because I followed his own format.  That was fun.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I gave up with formatting when somebody published an official guideline to citing tweets.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I gave up with formatting when somebody published an official guideline to citing tweets.

Sounds like a good way to get points docked.

No it was actually like one of the official, widely-used formats. I forget which one though, because they're all acronyms and I suck at remembering acronyms.

I meant the giving up part.

not giving up that way.

like when people say they're "just done" with something, that way.

..."Just done" generally means you're going to start ignoring it too.

holy fuck.

I am trying to say I find it silly, frivolous, etc. and it is amusing to me that there is an official citation format for tweets.

christ.

I am never understood in this manner anywhere else, I don't know why it happens so often here.

Make what you're saying clearer then? Is it really that difficult?

Apparently! I mean I always thought that "giving up on" something was a pretty well understood signifier for finding it dumb, but I guess not.

I have heard it used in that manner exactly 0 times.

Okay, serious question, is English your first language?

I mean, if it's not I can understand how that's a turn of phrase you might never have come across, but if it is then I am well and truly baffled.

• Is this really an argument worth having? >_<

My sincere apologies for not understanding a phrase I have never heard used in that manner.

• edited 2013-03-05 19:11:48
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I just don't understand the confusion and it's frustrating that I'm so frequently misunderstood over here and nowhere else, even when I am talking to the same people in different places.

• edited 2013-03-05 19:21:16

Why wouldn't there be a format for citing Tweets?  It's relatively unlikely that they're going to be valuable for an academic paper but the thing is, if you do have to quote someone's Twitter for whatever reason, there needs to be a way to cite it, and Twitter is sufficiently different from other things that have citation formats that you might as well make a new one instead of trying to get some other format to fit it.

• edited 2013-03-05 20:04:39
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Just because something makes sense doesn't mean it isn't funny.

(also there should probably be one for Facebook too, but heck, maybe there is)

also I'm sorry I lost my temper back there but this seems to happen to me a lot over here and I'm not sure why it happens here specifically and not anywhere else.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I have heard the phrase "gave up on" as slang/informal for general bewilderment, but it is a small minority of usage of that phrase.  The phrase usually involves something that you can more actively actually give up on.

...well, usually.  Kinda.

If the phrase were "I gave up on formatting when...", then it's almost always used to mean personally stopping an action one had been doing.

If the phrase were "I gave up when...", then it's usually about a very general statement of bewilderment.

Now Super Lazuli wrote "I gave up with formatting when...", which is an even rarer construction, but honestly it does lean toward suggesting a specific action.

• For whatever it's worth, I understood what you meant.