If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJAM: Good features of Windows 7

edited 2013-02-28 21:08:50 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Tray icons are now hidden in a drop-up menu rather than an expandable cluster.  Especially if you're using only one taskbar row, this is much more convenient.

Quick Launch is still available as a feature.

Taskbar can be changed back to working like Windows 95/98/XP taskbar (separate tab for each window, no programs pinned).  (Though right-clicking tabs doesn't bring up the classic Restore/Maximize/etc. menu immediately; you have to mouse-over and then right-click the popup.)

Allowing filesystem locations to be copied out of and pasted into Save As and Open dialog boxes, for significantly faster navigation.  Allowing access to them via Alt+D hotkey.  "Breadcrumbs" feature allowing for quicker navigation (not having to go back up to a higher-level folder and load that in order to go into its subfolders; just click its dropdown in the breadcrumbs).

Comments

• a little muffled

You can rearrange your taskbar. That's enough to make me give it the thumbs up over XP from a UI perspective.

• edited 2013-02-28 22:35:36

what does your taskbar look like?  I don't think I've used any Win7-specific features other than the show desktop thing in the corner.

• edited 2013-03-01 07:05:31

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Right-click

* Jump list (default)

* Standard window menu

YES PLEASE

And I can tell it to show tooltip rather than big-ass preview when hovering!  I can now reset the hover time to a reasonable amount (rather than like 10 seconds)!

And Taskbar Inspector looks useful.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Holding ctrl when right clicking a taskbar entry = old style context menu.  Little known trick.