If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Your Aunt Sally is excused.

edited 2013-02-25 05:00:31 in Wonderful posts

Now please leave me alone while I try to remember how to do this math problem!

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

BIDMAS / BODMAS > PEMDAS. :|

What does the E even stand for?

• Because you never know what you might see.

Exponents.

• a little muffled
    I still don't get how you get I or O from that...
  • "Indices" or "Orders", I think.

Also, the B wouldn't work in America because Americans don't usually call ( and ) brackets.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Indices/Orders.

• a little muffled
    I know that's what they stand for. I have just never in my life heard anyone use either of those terms to refer to exponentiation outside of acronyms.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The O can also be used to spell "Brackets Over Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction" when you teach primary schoolers.

• edited 2013-02-25 05:14:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The word "order" is used in the phrase "orders of magnitude", which has to do with powers of ten.

• a little muffled
    Yeah but that's not quite the same thing.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Also, we always call 4² either 'orders' or 'to the power of'.

• edited 2013-02-25 05:29:24

I don't think I've heard anyone use "orders" that way.

If the exponent is 2, we'd almost always just say "squared".

For anything else we usually say "to the power of", or just "to the", e.g. in 4^2 as "four to the two".

EDIT: why did the superscript work for Nova but not for me?

You also probably see people spell 'colour' as 'color'. :|

• a little muffled
    "Four to the two" bothers me. It's "to the second" dammit.
  • edited 2013-02-25 05:41:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, it's "four squared".

"Orders of magnitude" is a term used to say roughly how big really big numbers are.  Like, a crowd of 100,000 people is not just larger but a several orders of magnitude larger than a crowd of 10 people.

There's also the terms "[nth]-order approximation" and "[nth]-order derivative", which is derived (no pun intended) from the use of exponent notation to indicate taking the derivative of stuff multiple times.

• edited 2013-02-25 05:43:07

You also probably see people spell 'colour' as 'color'. :|

Touché.

I don't know why these little discussions of regional language differences fascinate me so much.

• a little muffled
    GMH: Well yes, obviously you'd normally say squared, but I didn't want to come up with another example. The point is, ordinals, not cardinals.
  • Most people I know (by which I mean, all my math instructors) have mostly used the cardinals. I don't know why; "to the fifth" certainly makes more sense than "to the five".

"Four to the two" bothers me. It's "to the second" dammit.

You'd say 'to the second' in a formal setting, but to myself or in a study group or something, I'd say 'three to the four', not 'three to the fourth'.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What Nova said.

• a little muffled
    Eh, my grade 9 math teacher (who was a bit of a grammar Nazi) used to correct students whenever theyused cardinals in that context, and I just got used to it.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I know that's what they stand for. I have just never in my life heard anyone use either of those terms to refer to exponentiation outside of acronyms.

If i'm not mistaken, 'indices' is intended to be more inclusive since it also covers nth roots.

• You know, that makes sense. The omission of roots always bugged me in the American one. 

• You can change. You can.

ahahaha silly people and your mnemonics

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-25 16:03:50

The word "order" is used in the phrase "orders of magnitude", which has to do with powers of ten.

You see it used for powers of 2 sometimes.  And programming doesn't even bother to specify a base.

And roots are just fractional exponents, so there's not really any need to include them.

• How many people being taught this mnemonic (i.e. late elementary and early middle schoolers) are actually going to understand the concept of fractional exponents, though?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-25 17:43:01

100% if you say "hey, you know how addition and subtraction are the same operation?  Exponents and roots are like that too, and you'll learn why later."

Actually, once we got to roots I'd teach it as a fraction exponent to begin with and use that to lead into how "stacked" exponents multiply.

• a little muffled

Roots being fractional exponents is probably easier to convince an eleven-year-old of than x^0 = 1.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm pretty sure that you teach young kids My Dear Ant Sally, and only when they get into higher arithmetic or basic algebra do you tell them Please Excuse.

Maybe in American schools, dude.

• a little muffled

I had never heard of order of operations until grade 7 when they taught BEDMAS. Which I believe was concurrently taught with brackets being a thing.