If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Pumpkingame (CU plays Dwarf Fortress)

edited 2013-02-09 17:50:02 in General
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yes, I know, this means I'm running three liveblogs at once. But now I have all my bases covered: a game I hate (FATAL), a game I love (DF) and a game I both love and hate (Dead Space 2).

So, our situation: our band of seven dwarves, known as The Lovers of Cheese, has set out to establish a fortress, which shall be known as Pumpkingame. So, to start off, let's introduce our dwarves!

Oddom (Miner):

Dastot (Miner):

Ushrir (Miner):

Mebzuth (Carpenter, Woodcutter, Expedition Leader):

Vucar (Mason):

Tobul (Farmer)

Dishmab (Farmer)

We also have the camel and horse who brought the wagon to the embark site, as well as three kittens and three war dogs.

Now then, let's get to know the lay of the land.

Esentially, we're in a wide valley running from the southwest to northeast, with a brook in the middle. At the Northwest and Southeast corners, we get into the bottoms of some mountains, but for the most part, we're looking at woodlands on some remarkably level ground. There are a few ponds scattered about as well.

As for local wildlife...I'm always kind of afraid to check this one. And...I'm showing absolutely nothing. So I guess I'll continue being terrified for the moment.

Anyway, I'll get some stuff set up, then make another post.

Comments

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

So, any particular strategy in mind? All sorts of traps to build, machines to operate, unfortunate accidents to arrange...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sadly, I am very bad at Dwarf Fortress, so I'm more or less going to be improvising beyond the initial stage.

On the plus side, that's very likely to lead to Fun.

Okay, so I've gotten started, and I'm not very far in, but here's what I've done so far:

Had my miners carve out an entrance:

Started irrigation on an underground farm and dug out some food storage:

And finally figured out what kind of wildlife we have OH SHIT:

Nothing bad has come of that yet, but you know it's coming. There are also Giant Crows and Magpie People.

Dug out the beginnings of a crafting floor:

Dug out a dining room and bedrooms, but accidentally made the first hallway wider than intended:

Unfortunately, my whole team got so bogged down in hauling wood, food and furniture that Summer came, and with it, a wave of migrants, before I could really get set up:

Not introducing them all individually this time because nobody gives a shit.

So I've actually been thinking about this liveblog, and am considering rebooting it from a more tutorial-y perspective, since DF is such a difficult game to get into. Thoughts?

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I never quite got the hang of basic design efficiency, so, go ahead.

I'm not actually good at the game, so don't expect too much :P

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

It already shows deeper understanding of the game that ever was in my forts, heh heh.