If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The only flying-type move Gyrados can learn is Bounce.

edited 2011-03-29 01:54:18 in Media
Pony Sleuth
It makes it seem as though its Flying type is just there to nerf it against electric moves.

Comments

• Yeah, that's always bothered me when it came to Gyarados, too.
  • edited 2011-03-29 02:01:06
    Pony Sleuth
    The fuck? Did I never read that second "a" after all these years?

Wait, Gyarados would sound wrong, then... But it's pronounced like Gayrados or Garados though, right?

Nyuuuuh. Back to studying my textbooks.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-03-29 01:59:46
    IT'S THE FIRST "A" YOU WHORE
  • No, it's the second "a". There was an "a" in the first spelling I used, so it was there first in this case.
  • Yes, but it's the first "a" used in the actual name.
  • edited 2011-03-29 02:20:08
    Pony Sleuth
    Yeah. Both meanings are possible, but you should have assumed what was true was what I meant.
  • But, that's kind of the opposite of what I'm programmed to do.
  • Put it this way, you're only allowed to snark when the other person is wrong.
  • You mean... I can't snark when people say tomahto anymore? <8C
  • IIRC, it was originally a water/dragon type, which wound up being ridiculously broken.
  • edited 2011-03-29 10:05:17
    Gyarados is still really awesome even with being Water/Flying, so it's no big deal.

Oh, and it should be pronounced like, well, exactly as it looks.  As in, it starts with a "Gya" sound, not a "Ga," since, well, that's how it's spelled.  But also, its Japanese name is ギャラドス.  Or, well, Gya-ra-do-su (hyphens just there to separate syllables, of course).
  • ^ That. Still awesome despite having 4x weakness to Miko-- er, Pikachu.
  • edited 2011-03-29 06:49:44

Oh, and Gyarados should feel grateful: before Gen IV it had zero physical STAB moves.
  • edited 2011-03-29 10:51:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    They probably thought it was overpowered as is.

The English dub of the cartoon pronounces its name "gyrados" (with a hard g, like in "get" rather than "germ"), which is actually how I ended up spelling it for a while before I learned its proper spelling.

Though at one point I also did pronounce its first syllable with a soft g (sounding like the first syllable of "gyroscope").