If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When you like a character but don't know why

edited 2013-02-01 19:03:45 in Media
But you never had any to begin with.

Dunno what you'd call this (inexplicablelikeitis?), but whatever.

So yeah, this is something I come across on a whilst not exactly regular, not rare enough to be called a one/two off phenomenon.

As an example of this, take Katina Tarask from the OG line of Super Robot Wars games. She's not particularly well characterised, boiling down to "really really shouty", her piloting skills in game can at best be called decent (unless you do something like stick her in the Weissritter and level her a bunch, at which point she becomes an unstoppable godsniper of death, but that's a tangent for another day), her theme is pretty middle of the ground by SRW standards, and her design isn't particularly awe inspiring. And yet, despite this, she's still one of my favourite characters from the series.

It's not even like the other characters are bad characters. Sure, the MCs are basically "Hot blooded teenager the #4590th" and "Sir Stoic McStoic of Stoicville", but other than that, you've got Sanger Zonvolt the German samurai, and Elzam von Branstein (aka Ratsel Feinschmecker, who is totally a different person and not Elzam copying Char's disguise tactics) whose theme overrides every other piece of music in the game.

So yeah. Nothing else to say on the matter really. Except that it's confusing.

Comments

• a little muffled

Yup, know the feeling. Why is Arf my favourite Nanoha character? I wish I could tell you.

• You can change. You can.

I think that it's simply the character's overall appeal being bigger than the sum of its parts. Like, almost every single little thing thing about Wolverine screams boring cliche and teenager fantasy to me, but when you put it all together, you have my favorite murderous canadian ferret ever.

• I don't think this ever happens to me. I guess it's at least partially because nowadays, I can find something good to say about almost anything.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-02 04:08:23

There are a few characters like this for me.  I liked Sam from LOTR more than I can gather reasons why.  I like Pierce Brosnan's Bond the best even though he wasn't written that well and most of his movies were shit.  I liked Garrus before Mass Effect's writing picked up enough to make him the legendary smartass he is today (and of course loved him after for it, but this is about before I had a particularly good reason).  I like playing Argonians in Elder Scrolls even though they're typically crap.

This is probably the most dramatic (lol) case I can remember, not only because I'm not sure exactly why I like her, but because I used to hate her and I'm not even entirely sure when she went from irritating to one of my favorite characters.

• Goofy! I just love this guy! :D

goofy

• Sam from LOTR

He represents the heroism of the common person, I think. Sam is faithful to Frodo, and perseveres in difficulties when Frodo does not. Sam is also wiser, in that he always suspected Gollum even when Frodo was naïve. There are a lot of things to like about Sam, so there you go. :)

• edited 2013-02-02 07:44:08
    I'm like this with Amanda from the Saw series. The girl is a junkie who kills people and self harms, and is clearly messed up in the head. Yet she's my favourite character in the entire series.
  • They're somethin' else.

I'm gonna have to say, although Isamu Dyson from Macross Plus really hasn't nothing going for him aside from not growing up past his high school days, he comes off as a total bro.