If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Video games make a big fuggin' deal over aerial combat and chopsockey.

edited 2013-01-30 21:13:31 in General
They're somethin' else.

Why is that? It's gotten to the point where in the newest Devil May Cry game, enemies will magically shoot upwards when you launch them, hang midair in the same spot for 2 seconds, and then abruptly fall down if you decide not to follow up with it. It's so Looney Tunes, the way it does this that it's... well, unfunny.

I know this has been going on since X-Men: Children of the Atom and such, and Guilty Gear made a small feature of it in their fighting games. Pre-Ninja Theory Devil May Cry had at least some sense when it came to using this. But the overexposure of the whole thing gets a really big meh reaction out of me whenever I see it, now.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I think it's largely because those previous games you mentioned used it to great effect, particularly the Tekken games, and gaming nowandays is big on spectacle that is easy to acquire rather than spectacle you need to work for.

• And this is a spectacle fighting game.

Which means they need to one-up everybody else.

So that means Looney Tunes.

• I remember this dmc-like game where the objective was explicitly to keep enemies in the air as long as possible, playing sword volleyball with your AI partners.

particularly the Tekken games

My knowledge of Tekken is very outdated, but since when does it have a strong aerial component?

• Silence is golden.

juggles

• edited 2013-01-30 21:57:04
    They're somethin' else.

if I remember correctly, it has juggling as more or less an extreme staple of it's core gameplay, not air to air suspended chop sockey.

That too, bores me. Particularly when you see onesided fights where someone gets the first hit in and just juggles his opponent to death.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I thought fights were supposed to be interesting, intense, and exciting, not degenerate.

• They're somethin' else.

Welp, subjectivity. I personally haven't liked Tekken (and by proxy, Soul Calibur) since Tekken 5.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^^Well honestly, if you get air juggle to a point where you get insta-killed you were probably fighting way out of your weight class.

That said, it doesn't change my point. There was a point where these effects were used to show how effective what you did was and the aspect of spectacle over difficulty eventually took over. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

The solution here is clearly to not play video games, and instead play with voodoo dolls.

• They're somethin' else.

I mean, I'm not gonna STOP playing a game because it just so happens to have AERIAL RAVE, DAWG. But hey, I don't mind like, being on fire when kicking ass, right?

I dunno.