If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

DRM on...anything, really.

edited 2013-01-27 10:12:24 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm installing stuff right now and I have to go through this complicated process to get authorization to use the product.  This involves making an account on the company's website, then getting each component of this thing to be cross-checked with the company's server's details, and then and only then will it let me use the software.

Oh, and I can only use this for a year.

Best of all, this isn't a game.  This is GIS software for my class.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    And companies wonder why piracy exists
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And companies wonder why piracy exists

Funny, I was under the impression piracy existed before DRM.

• edited 2013-01-27 10:32:44
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I think he means "DRM has actually become incentive for people to pirate things".

Though outside of region locking/blocking (not DRM, but it's kiiinda relevant) and extreme cases (SecuROM, bricking digital devices you paid for on purpose on the part of the manufacturer) I don't think this is as much of an issue as it's portrayed to be.

DRM might be useless, but most of the time it's also harmless and mildly annoying.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's relevant in extreme cases, I'll allow. Other than that, it's reaaaaaaaaaaally not anywhere near as much of an issue as it's cracked up to be.

It's also not even close to as much of an incentive to pirate as high prices are.

• No rainbow star
    ^^^ Sorry, yeah, what 14 said
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, actually, this is multi-component software and now I'm confused as to exactly what I (1) have installed, and (2) have a license for.

• edited 2013-01-27 13:27:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I just tried to open the sample example the prof posted.

> ArcView is not authorized

I go to the license manager.  I try to authorize ArcView.

> That would exceed the number of copies allowed for authorization.

What.

Did I authorize the wrong thing?  Is that even possible?  I'm supposed to have a one-year license to use all the software on that DVD-ROM.

Fug.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Torrent it.

Seriously, you need this and it's jerking you around with DRM nonsense. It's not worth it.

I would go with a torrent except for the fact that I don't actually know how this thing works, or what components I need for the class.

• Don't know how to torrent, or don't know how to open a file? I know torrented files can be quite tricky to operate.

I know how to torrent, and I know how to open a file.

I just don't know which software packages are required for the class.

• edited 2013-01-28 16:02:43
    No rainbow star
    See? They don't need the DRM! They just need people to not know what the fuck they need to stop piracy!