If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Norton

edited 2013-01-24 02:19:56 in General
No rainbow star

I don't know how, I don't know when

But it somehow installed itself on my laptop

The thing's worse than a fucking virus, because at least those can be picked by by anti virus software!

Comments

• Take heart.  Sometimes Norton identifies itself as a virus and tries to delete itself.

• I had AVG on my laptop, and it came up with a "You have a virus on your computer! Remove it by buying AVG for £60!"

I deleted it straight away.

• edited 2013-01-24 09:14:13

^^^Icalasari thats weird norton worked far better on my laptop than the built-in anti-virus software ever did.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I have AVG and it doesn't do that.

• edited 2013-01-24 08:15:59

Antivirus software for Windows. It's free to download, but I got a message saying I needed to buy it to remove a virus I got.

I have another antivirus thing installed that is much better, as well as NoScript running on Firefox, so I had no need for it.

• @tools thanks and i had two anti-virus software built-in the laptop nagged me to every time i would log on and my laptop ran smoother when i got rid of them.

• No rainbow star
    Found out it rode in on a RealPlayer update

The update was cancelled though, and didn't saying ANYTHING about Norton

Anybody know a good replacement for RealPlayer? I cannot trust a program that installs things without even telling me
  • avast! works wonders. As in, anti-virus, not to play movies.

• Icalasari you could try vlc media player if you want.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ I already use Avast!. Sadly, it apparently doesn't think of Norton as a virus

^ Wait, it can also let you download videos? That was the main reason I got RealPlayer. So I could make a few gifs as every online method of doing it was pure ass or required you have the video downloaded
  • You can change. You can.

I personally use and love BS Player because it's a pretty simple and quick player but I'm not sure if it fits your needs.

• edited 2013-01-24 10:30:18

^^not that i know of it sorry. but but other than that its very good realplayer alternative.it support more video and audio formats aswell. you could try downloading again from the website and see if you can uncheck the anti-virus software?. 

• @Icalasari Firefox has a DownloadHelper add-on, and its worked pretty well for me. There's also Orbit for Windows, although I haven't used that in a while.

• edited 2013-01-24 10:47:05

MPC-HC is the best video player for Windows.  It's recommended that you install LAV filters and Haali Splitter and MadVR for best results (and xy-vsfilter if you need subtitles since ISR still kind of sucks), or if you don't want to do it manually just install CCCP (I haven't actually checked what the new release of it has, but I think it's supposed to basically just be what I mentioned).  All other video players are garbage.  For Linux and Mac use mplayer2 (it's also available for Windows, but I think the Windows version isn't as good or something).  Your video player shouldn't be responsible for downloading videos from the internet, since you can do that with your web browser.

• Norton's kind of a dick, I hear, but he's a competent actor.

Now, for antivirus, I use Avast, it works fine enough, as for media players, MPC + a good codec pack generally does the trick.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Avast! is amazing.

• edited 2013-01-24 12:53:21
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

http://www.bishoujoproject.com/mpc-hc-playback-guide/

These are two guides to get MPC-HC up and running, the first link is more recent but both are pretty good. These are specifically optimized for 1080p and subtitles though.

• edited 2013-01-24 13:06:54

Both of them use ISR instead of xy-vsfilter, despite overwhelming proof that ISR completely fails to render even basic things correctly and even when it is accurate it's very slow.  The only benefit is that subtitles look smoother since they're rendered at screen resolution, but that doesn't make up for its disadvantages (and it looks bad with fancy typesetting anyway, since the idea is usually to make it look like part of the video).  ISR is probably fine for anything other than anime fansubs though.

• It's bizarre, everyone I know swears by VLC, but it's given me nothing but pain, especially when it comes to DVD playback. I'll stick with my MPC-HC, thanks.

• edited 2013-01-24 13:28:48

VLC is only popular with people who either don't know about better video players or don't want to spend five minutes setting one up.  VLC actually isn't totally horrible (at least, I think it's gotten better lately), but it's not very good and there's generally no reason not to use the best video player that you can.  Which is usually not VLC.

Though VLC is nice in that it doesn't rely on other codecs installed on your system (also it sucks for the same reason, but whatever), which means you can just put VLC on a flash drive or something and it'll run the same on any computer, whereas with MPC you'd have to install all your filters before you could use it...

Or basically VLC is useful as a portable application, if you frequently find yourself needing to watch videos on computers you can't install stuff on.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I use mplayer because no matter which guides I follow MPC never works correctly in my computer. I think it's just too shitty
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I used VLC until something didn't work with it, then I set up something better. Simple enough.
  • No rainbow star
    I use VLC to watch videos as every attempt of mine to install codecs fail HORRIBLY
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't use VLC; I use CCCP.

Also, Avast may give you Surprise Google Chrome when it updates.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/ for great justice.  Also what GMH said, though a lot of free antivirus solutions seems to have something piggybacking on them.

• edited 2013-01-25 16:35:21

I use CCCP.

The recent (month old now, I guess) version of CCCP is fine, but the version before that is pretty outdated and has been for a long time.  Make sure you've at least updated to the latest version.

Or just install everything manually since it's just MPC-HC/Haali Splitter/LAV/MadVR/xy-vsfilter (or basically what the Bishoujo Project guide has, plus xy-vsfilter).

• edited 2013-01-25 16:58:43
    a little muffled

SMPlayer is pretty sweet, yeah. It's what I used when I was on Ubuntu. I didn't know there was a Windows version, but eh, MPC works fine for me.

I use Avast! but I admit I've done basically zero research on antivirus stuff.

• You can change. You can.

Media Player Classic